Prazipro resistant flukes on wrasse

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the latest guideline on prazipro instructions in btw each round? I’ve seen anywhere btw 7-10 days in btw each round, and I’m wondering if there is any consensus on the days. Cuz if timing is not right, flukes can survive…in that case, after three rounds of prazipro, what are options to treat flukes for wrasses? I don’t think 35 days of half hyposalinity would be good for wrasses. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What’s the latest guideline on prazipro instructions in btw each round? I’ve seen anywhere btw 7-10 days in btw each round, and I’m wondering if there is any consensus on the days. Cuz if timing is not right, flukes can survive…in that case, after three rounds of prazipro, what are options to treat flukes for wrasses? I don’t think 35 days of half hyposalinity would be good for wrasses. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
I recommend 14 days to assure any eggs from them are addressed
As it decreases oxygen- add an airstone to maintain O2 levels

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
The timing is always a guess - it depends on the water temperature and the type of fluke involved. I’ve heard anywhere from 5 to 10 days between treatments. I’ve settled on 8 days.

Always add extra aeration when dosing Prazipro.

What species of wrasse? I’ve run many at half salinity with no issues at all. A specific gravity of 1.012 for 30 days works better (more consistently) than prazi does. I’ve actually had more reports of wrasse having issues with prazipro…although I suspect these are actually issues with lack of aeration, and not the prazi itself. The solvent in Prazipro is a glycol. It gets broken down by bacteria, and that pulls oxygen from the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse, an ornate leopard wrasse, a blue star leopard wrasse, and a pintail flasher wrasse. Hopefully they will be okay with half hypo!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse, an ornate leopard wrasse, a blue star leopard wrasse, and a pintail flasher wrasse. Hopefully they will be okay with half hypo!
Leopards are generally tough to feed and are delicate overall. The trouble is they may not thrive for you even without hypo as an issue.

P.s. - I noticed a typo in my post, I wrote 5 to 20 days, it should have read 5 to 10 days

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if time is not an issue, is 10 days better than 8 days? What is the difference? I’m guessing with five days, there night be eggs that haven’t hatched yet. With 10 days, maybe surviving adults might lay eggs? Trying to understand why it’d fail in each scenario.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if time is not an issue, is 10 days better than 8 days? What is the difference? I’m guessing with five days, there night be eggs that haven’t hatched yet. With 10 days, maybe surviving adults might lay eggs? Trying to understand why it’d fail in each scenario.

That's the crux of the issue - if you don't use a long enough interval, some eggs will not have hatched (prazi has no effect on fluke eggs). If you wait too long, the flukes attach to the fish, but then lay new eggs, that keep the cycle going. On top of all that is the issue with prazi eating bacteria that grows with each dose you give. Eventually, it reduces the treatment's effectiveness to near zero.

I used to say 9 days, but too many flukes eggs were getting through, so I changed to 8 days. That still doesn't always work though. I think 5 days is too short of a time.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back