PREDATOR show off thread!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see your most photogenic predators! Show 'em off!

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll help get this thread started with a couple (slightly older) pics of my Tripletail Maori Wrasse (Cheilinus trilobatus).

His colors can vary quite a bit depending on the type of lighting.
LEDs.
tripletail.jpg

Early morning pic with just natural sunlight.
trip2.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a beautiful fish! It's also one that I've not seen before.

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

As you can probably tell by my user name, I'm a big fan of the Maori Wrasses. I actually built my current system to accommodate an adult Broomtail Wrasse (Cheilinus lunulatus). Both C. lunulatus and C. trilobatus are available on occasion, and juveniles/initial phase of these species are often mistaken for one another. Temperament wise, I would describe them as being like a big Harlequin Tusk, although a bit slower and more deliberate in their movements. My Tripletail is on the shy side, spending a lot of time in a favorite cave or two, while my initial phase Broomie is almost always out in the open.
broomie1.JPG

Here's a (rather poor) pic of my Broomtail hanging out by some mangroves. It's difficult for me to get half way decent photos of my fish with a phone camera. Will try to get some real pics after the holiday...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current line up: a pride of lions. wartskin angler, and a cuttlefish in species tanks being fed live. I also have an aggressive tank with triggers and eel that anything that goes in signs it's own death warrant. A semi aggressive tank with other triggers, puffer, and tusk. A leopard wrasse in my macro tank that happily hunts down a small ghostie from time to time.

012.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

013.jpg

darian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current line up: a pride of lions. wartskin angler, and a cuttlefish in species tanks being fed live. I also have an aggressive tank with triggers and eel that anything that goes in signs it's own death warrant. A semi aggressive tank with other triggers, puffer, and tusk. A leopard wrasse in my macro tank that happily hunts down a small ghostie from time to time.

[/ATTACH]

what do u feed ur frogfish? i have the same one. 3 days in n its not eating still. :( tried mollies, clams, fish meat and mussels. nothing seems to b working

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do u feed ur frogfish? i have the same one. 3 days in n its not eating still. :( tried mollies, clams, fish meat and mussels. nothing seems to b working

Live Ghost shrimp are usually the best bet. When they 1st come in you will have to lure him to eat with live food. How big is he, you don't want anything too large although they can put it down. So if you are trying mollies they might have to be babies or very small. If you can't find ghost shrimp(mostly coming out of FL so with the hurricane maybe difficult) try some feeder guppies. Acclimate they to salt for about an hour so they don;t float. A fancy guppy might be more the right size and easier to acclimate to salt. Nothing larger than the width between his eyes. You might turn off all the water movement and use a rigid air tube to chase the food towards him. They can be difficult at 1st but it is really important to get them eating right away. Really no need to try dead stuff at this point.

darian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Ghost shrimp are usually the best bet. When they 1st come in you will have to lure him to eat with live food. How big is he, you don't want anything too large although they can put it down. So if you are trying mollies they might have to be babies or very small. If you can't find ghost shrimp(mostly coming out of FL so with the hurricane maybe difficult) try some feeder guppies. Acclimate they to salt for about an hour so they don;t float. A fancy guppy might be more the right size and easier to acclimate to salt. Nothing larger than the width between his eyes. You might turn off all the water movement and use a rigid air tube to chase the food towards him. They can be difficult at 1st but it is really important to get them eating right away. Really no need to try dead stuff at this point.

just as i made this post my frogfish setup his lure n ate a mollie. my frogfish is around 3 inches

IMG_6512.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just as i made this post my frogfish setup his lure n ate a mollie. my frogfish is around 3 inches

IMG_6512.JPG

It's best to feed 2-3 small prey(I'll feed like 3-5 ghosties) rather than 1 large fish, although they can eat something as large as themselves. In captivity this usually proves deadly, over feeding can also prove deadly so feeding 2 no more than 3 times a week is best. Until a nice bulge in the belly but not like his belly laying on the rocks. They seem to be a little sensitive to high nitrates as well, so if his appetite ever starts to wean check your nitrates.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

As you can probably tell by my user name, I'm a big fan of the Maori Wrasses. I actually built my current system to accommodate an adult Broomtail Wrasse (Cheilinus lunulatus). Both C. lunulatus and C. trilobatus are available on occasion, and juveniles/initial phase of these species are often mistaken for one another. Temperament wise, I would describe them as being like a big Harlequin Tusk, although a bit slower and more deliberate in their movements. My Tripletail is on the shy side, spending a lot of time in a favorite cave or two, while my initial phase Broomie is almost always out in the open.
broomie1.JPG

Here's a (rather poor) pic of my Broomtail hanging out by some mangroves. It's difficult for me to get half way decent photos of my fish with a phone camera. Will try to get some real pics after the holiday...

I am getting a small broom tail in 2 weeks. He is coming in at 5 inches. His final home is set to be a 540. How have you liked your so far?

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

012.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

013.jpg

Where did the fuzzy in the first pic at the bottom come from I have never seen that coloration?! I have seen red and I have seen yellow but nothing like that!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back