Predatory Fish Discussion

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many predatory fish require specialized nutrition for long term success. Many species will not live long term if live foods are not included in their diet. Many serious issues are due to a diet high in thiaminese and being fed too often. I mostly exclusively post in The Predatory Fish Discussion, if you are currently or interested in caring for predatory fish like lions, scorps, eels, and others; click my name and "find all threads". Here is a thread I posted recently.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Many predatory fish require specialized nutrition for long term success. Many species will not live long term if live foods are not included in their diet. Many serious issues are due to a diet high in thiaminese and being fed too often. I mostly exclusively post in The Predatory Fish Discussion, if you are currently or interested in caring for predatory fish like lions, scorps, eels, and others; click my name and "find all threads". Here is a thread I posted recently.

Hey question for you, what are the first signs to look out for thiaminase poisoning in a moray eel? Also, after how long of feeding thiaminase containing foods will symptoms appear? My Snowflake is fine, but I am just curious in general.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey question for you, what are the first signs to look out for thiaminase poisoning in a moray eel? Also, after how long of feeding thiaminase containing foods will symptoms appear? My Snowflake is fine, but I am just curious in general.
There are many variables, just as with humans, each individual will be different. Thiaminese content will vary, krill is very high as well as many brands of silversides. Market shrimp will depend on how much vitamin B1 has been depleted. What else is in their diet, are they getting enough vitamin B1 to counteract the effects of the thiaminese. Early demise can be a combination of factors as well, so it all can't be blamed on just a high thiaminese diet. I've never seen an eel live as long as 2 years being fed a high thiaminese diet. I've seen the effects take on as early as several months. Other nutritional factors are also usually in play like not enough protein and not enough fat. Signs of nutritional deficiencies start out as a disinterest in food and lethargy. Starting to go after food, mouthing it, then refusing to eat. They will tend to start refusing food when they don't get the proper nutrition from the foods you are feeding. Regular hunger strikes without any other known causes many times spells nutritional deficiency. Think about when you crave certain foods and can't get enough of them, many times it's because your body innately is craving the properties of that food, eels will start refusing foods that are of no value to them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back