Predatory Sea Snails

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Messages
9,467
Reaction score
10,922
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering in part because a number of different sites I've come across sell whelks, moon snails, horse conches, etc. and in part because there are some really cool (in my opinion) predatory snails out there (Volutes and Tun snails being some of my personal favorites): does anyone in the hobby actually keep predatory sea snails?
 
I keep a murex, a few whelks, and a tulip snail. The murex & whelks are in an isolated tank, but the tulip is in my main display. It eats one cerith every few weeks, so it hasn't been much of a pain, however it's only an inch long at this point. I'll probably have to rehome it when it gets any bigger.
 
Here is my Eastern mudsnail (Ilyanassa obsoleta) which I received mixed up with Nassarius snails and removed from my main tank before it did any harm:
D6E795AB-7D91-4828-89F7-09C48E453144.jpeg

80E0ACBE-832D-4183-83FD-DB6D45734570.jpeg


Nowadays, it hangs out in my 10 gallon holding tank at room temperature water (it naturally thrives in temperate regions) and I sporadically feed it bits of Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers.

One of my LFS’s (Cali Kid Corals) also carries Crown conchs (Melongena corona) in their fish systems and @ssunthar owns a Pearly moon snail (Naticidae).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new