Pregnant reefer trying to empty skimmer cup

Reflective

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
355
Reaction score
63
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two times I've had to empty my skimmer cup it's been rough! I'm glad my skimmer is finally dialed in and working properly but *bleh*. It's not like it smelled good in the first place, but now my sense of smell is heightened along with my gag reflex which makes the whole experience horrendous! Takes 3 times a long because I have to keep running outside for fresh air.
 
LOL i feel your pain...Kinda. My wife always complained of this when she was pregnant! What I ended up doing with using the drain tab my skimmer had. This connected to a old soda jug and drain into that rather then into the collection cup. I would just have to disconnect the drain and empty the bottle. Still smells terrible but worked a little better.
 
Try cutting up some fresh lemons and leave them in a few ziplock baggie in the fridge. When you feel the "urge" grab a bag, open it up and inhale.
 
Teach your husband/Bf how to do it :)
I tried! But he kind of hates my tank after I made him take care of it for a few weeks while I was away. And he is leaving for 3 weeks in September.

Try cutting up some fresh lemons and leave them in a few ziplock baggie in the fridge. When you feel the "urge" grab a bag, open it up and inhale.
Definitely going to try this.
 
I tried! But he kind of hates my tank after I made him take care of it for a few weeks while I was away. And he is leaving for 3 weeks in September.


Definitely going to try this.
Mayhaps even take the bag of lemon with you in anticipation and once you feel the urge just grab for it.
 
Can you run a line from the cup to a 1g milk jug?
A jug may allow you to empty less often at least, maybe give more time to get a friend to dump for you, a hole in cap for tubing keeps smell contained
 
Mayhaps even take the bag of lemon with you in anticipation and once you feel the urge just grab for it.
This worked great! This even worked when I accidentally dropped a bunch of thawed LRS food mixed with oyster feast and plankton and 90% of it went in my hair and on my face... almost lost it when I saw ...krill maybe?... hanging off my hair but I grabbed the bag of lemons and was fine!
 
During your pregnancy you should not touch your tank.

I only suggest that due to the nature of home reefing and toxicity associated with corals, certain fish, and bacteria. Mostly collected by skimmers.

Do look at CDC website on polytoxin associated with zoas for one. Call me over zealous, but if you do your research on reef keeping and pregnancy you may have a better understanding. Show it to other half and he will be the first to clean out the collection cup.
 
Maybe make sure when you have to do it wear latex gloves and I'm sure we all wash hands afterwards just because it's gross lol.
 
Wait you have a Gag Reflex ? LOL
J/K
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new