Prehensile tail on pipefish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter betareef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

betareef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2024
Messages
543
Reaction score
540
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question, I have read that pipefish lack the prehensile tail of a seahorse, and indeed most photos show a fan tail. However I have one that I caught by accident,and it does have a prehensile tail, and it uses it the same way as a seahorse.

picture here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pipefish-caught-accidentally.1130987/

So I guess SOME pipefish do have a prehensile tail despite what I read in some articles?
 
There are some that have prehensile tails. Alligator pipefish is one I have owned that did for sure. I know I have seen others that do as well.

I see. Well, thanks for the info. I have no idea what type he is btw, I suspect he will be hard to ID being so young.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new