preview of 800 g tank in 3 rooms

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... FAIL. The abyzz pump does not start. Just some error message which is not mentioned in the troubleshooting guide. error:0200 SERVICE!

Lovely. Time to scramble for an emergency pump while I sort this out.
Dang. That is a real surprise. Sorry for the scramble.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My college physics came in handy. I hooked up a MAG36 I had lying around, and it barely put a trickle in the upstairs tank against the 18 or 20 foot pressure head. I remembered about plumbing (or wiring) things in series, and fed the Mag with my skimmer pump and VIOLA - I have the system back online. Now... I can just wait for customer support - no need to panic order a pressure rated pump. Luckily, my years of cleaning and saving little plumbing parts also helped out.
1645398955428.png

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the deal with the Abyzz? Are you going to contact them to find out what that error is?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the house I am building for my new reef tank. The tank will be 140 inches long by 48 inches wide and 30 inches tall. About 870 gallons I guess. View-able from the living room, breakfast nook, and a "library" with a hidden door - to confound those who notice a room when they look through the tank.

What LEDs are you guys using for your monster tanks? I have just FOUR radions Gen 2 over my current 300, which I like. I would probably need 8 of them for this tank, plus another 2 to 4 in the grow-out tank going in the basement.

IMG_8199.JPG
I love that ur building the house around ur reef. Epic. Good luck.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the deal with the Abyzz? Are you going to contact them to find out what that error is?
Communicating with Abyzz Germany with a daily email exchange across the time zones.

So far, we have determined that turning it on and off does not fix it, that I installed it correctly (and then uninstalled it), there is no solenoid noise coming from the control box, and the impeller moves freely when spun by hand, and that the situation is "very strange".

Maybe... a wire to a solenoid came loose in the control box?? Maybe, I will get more information tonight at midnight - it has been 37 hours since I last heard from Abyzz.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Communicating with Abyzz Germany with a daily email exchange across the time zones.

So far, we have determined that turning it on and off does not fix it, that I installed it correctly (and then uninstalled it), there is no solenoid noise coming from the control box, and the impeller moves freely when spun by hand, and that the situation is "very strange".

Maybe... a wire to a solenoid came loose in the control box?? Maybe, I will get more information tonight at midnight - it has been 37 hours since I last heard from Abyzz.
Don’t they have an American division?

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t they have an American division?
From what I understand, the American division is closed and now warranty issues and parts are handled through Coralvue (I had to order plumbing adapters from Coralvue). I contacted them both and Abyzz responded first.

Abyzz is communicating directly with me and Coralvue is just getting the updates as sort of a middle party at this point.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a new control box coming from Germany, and I am shipping my defective one to Coralvue in LA. Communication is slow due to the time zone difference, but, everyone has been very nice and apologetic.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then... comes the next set of issues...

Well, I starting to get some browned out corals and some RTN. I am not sure if it is from the lack of turnover from the sump or (more likely) decreased in tank flow. I have at least 10 colonies that look bad and tossed three in the trash, one other I just cut up to save the healthy parts (I hope). Mostly, I have redundant frags so I can bounce back. I already killed all the really expensive stuff months ago, so no worries there ;Blackeye

I also figured out that at some point.. the system water temp dropped to 66 degrees for two days. This is probably what stressed out the corals more than anything. I also re-installed a heater. Something I never look at in the winter is tank temp. D'OH!

I hooked my penductors back up and just added a hydrowizard ECM63, so the in tank circulation is as good as ever. Sump turnover is probably even worse now.

The hydrowizard - btw - is amazing. In retrospect, I should have just bought two of those and been done with it. For all the money I spent on vortechs, tunzes, and sea swirls, I probably would have broken even with less pumps and less noise.

I also got another Jabeo 18000 pump and just got my skimmer back online.

SO... I am bracing for a regressive event at this point, but, planning on coming back stronger! No idea when the new controller for the pump motor will arrive.

Last edited:

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the Abyzz pump too?

I do like the form factor of the Panta Rhei a little better.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the Abyzz pump too?

I do like the form factor of the Panta Rhei a little better.
I did, but, the mounting system does not include a magnet.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... the replacement Abyzz pump driver/controller arrived today and the new system pump - A1200 - is online. It is practically silent. Really, impressive. My fish room is now a relaxing place to hang out in and the only thing I can hear is an air pump, and the water sloshing in my roller mats (and the dehumidifier).

The pump running at 78% - puts about the same as the old tiger shark did, probably about 6000 - 7000 gph - but too many variables to know for sure. It took about 60% power to overcome head pressure to the upstairs.

I basically dealt with Abyzz directly, but, only had to ship the defective part to Coral Vue (not Germany). The new driver was shipped from Germany Saturday and arrived Wednesday. CV was not really too involved. Sascha from Abyzz says they made some improvements to the driver to make it more reliable. Overall, very good to deal with in this warranty situation.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a new pump or did you get it used? I’ve got an a200 that I’ve yet to put into use. I’ve always been curious how quiet it is.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a staggering comeback...

This photo in nat sunlight shows the tissue loss pattern that occurred on many of my colonies (about a month ago) after the tank got cold (67 degrees for a few days). Ordinarily, for me this would progress to RTN and death, but, these guys are hanging in there. I trimmed some of them down to healthy tissue, and some just left alone to see what would live and die.

These bare areas became covered with cyano - which I found after returning from vacation last week, and I just treated the tank with chemi clean. I also found that two pumps had gone caput, there were some piles of detritus - which seemed to be fueling the cyano, and the ALK had dropped to 5.8 due to a clogged pre filter in my calcium reactor. Oh,... and my phos bounced back up while I was gone - 0.25 ppm. I just weaned off GFO and was hoping my algae reactor would hold it down.

1649507548801.png

If there is another intrusion by algae or cyano onto the bare parts, I'll probably break down and trim them all but my current plan is to keep tweaking the current, light, and chemistry (quit screwing it up - that is) to see if the corals can simply cover those areas back up with flesh.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish find anemone after about 8 months. I had the nem long enough that it grew and split before the three mismatched clowns finally gave up the seasweep powerhead for the anemone.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.MOV
    34.4 MB

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back