Stand ideas for 200 gallon tank help please

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the metal stand if budget allows. T-slot is super easy to work with but more expensive. If you know how to weld standard metal is cheaper.

That said wood is super strong and what most commercial stands are made of. I’m not a fan of 2x4 stands and have built my personal stands out of 3/4” marine grade plywood. The compression strength on that is fantastic for the purpose and with appropriate bracing it makes a very clean looking stand. That will hold up.

Edit: I should add that 2x4 or 4x4 is not bad I just prefer the clean look of the plywood stand and find it easy to work with.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It really depends what you're looking for. If you want to overbuild your stand and have no space for much underneath go with 2x4 or 2x6. You can also build out of plywood, doubling up in key places.

Then there is steel and alu profiles which will give you great support with thin legs, amazing access and plenty of space within the stand.

Your choice.

Not so recently I had a 46" tall stand build out of alu profiles for my 270G tank and would never go back to building out of wood.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Also look here at post #31 if your budget doesnt allow for alu stand.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure any vertical loads are resting on the wood itself rather than the fasteners as they will shear long before the wood does. I made a stand for my 240 using RocketEngineers template (I used 2×6 and 2×8, lol) so on the bright side if there is ever nuclear war I have a shelter already built. I'm pretty sure the breaking point for 2x8 is like 30k pounds lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back