preview of 800 g tank in 3 rooms

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress. The stand is built, getting caulked and waterproofed. Simple overbuilt 2 x 6 construction. A pad comes with the glass tank, which will go between the plywood and the aluminum frame.

The tank comes in 48 hours. I'll probably do a fill test. Better the tank explodes now then later...

Oh, yea... and the house has a floor, walls and some windows.

The hidden "library" is to the left, living room to the right, access closet in the back.
IMG_0251.jpeg

Can I come for a swim when it’s done? In a friendly “swim with the fish” kinda way

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-5-20_21-8-56.png

Above are my plans to build the wall around the tank. I know you can't really see the details - but the basic idea is there.

There will be four posts at the corners from floor to ceiling. I will make a PVC splash-guard to rest on top of the tank - sort of like a Euro brace. This will catch drips and splashes, and form the contact point with the lids when they close. Tight enough to prevent much light spillage and protruding about 1/2 inch to provide a barrier between door and glass / frame.

The canopy above will have three doors and it will be open to the access closet. Before further construction.... I can temporarily en-sheath the tank in plywood to protect it during construction. Then, end up with a floor to ceiling "canopy".

The over-sized doors (2.5 by about 11 feet) will open with actuators -so I have full access all the way around.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approve of this build.

Consider Orphek Atlantik for your lighting. You'd only need 4 of them and they would look fantastic. Would also be cheaper than 8 radions with less clutter.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approve of this build.

Consider Orphek Atlantik for your lighting. You'd only need 4 of them and they would look fantastic. Would also be cheaper than 8 radions with less clutter.

Thanks, and that's a good call. The specs on that fixture are perfect for my tank and less clutter is highly appealing. Researching Orphek....

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in! The hard part was getting it through a narrow hallway. With moving blankets, hump straps, and lots of pvc pipe to roll on, we pushed it through. We then lifted it with 20 suction cups and put it on the stand.
Finally, we lifted it again and slid the three piece foam pad underneath it. The tank is not quite straight on the stand, which I naturally only noticed when everyone left. I still have the suction cups and I think I can straighten it with four or five friends. Phew! Glad that is done.

It really dominates the whole first floor. I really can't get away with screwing this up!

I'll adjust the position and do a fill test this weekend.

IMG_8621.JPG

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can take pictures of the top I want to see the bracing supports

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in! The hard part was getting it through a narrow hallway. With moving blankets, hump straps, and lots of pvc pipe to roll on, we pushed it through. We then lifted it with 20 suction cups and put it on the stand.
Finally, we lifted it again and slid the three piece foam pad underneath it. The tank is not quite straight on the stand, which I naturally only noticed when everyone left. I still have the suction cups and I think I can straighten it with four or five friends. Phew! Glad that is done.

It really dominates the whole first floor. I really can't get away with screwing this up!

I'll adjust the position and do a fill test this weekend.

IMG_8621.JPG

Wow.
You are right, this will dominate the whole floor.
What a great blank canvas to scape... ;Drool;Drool;Drool

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can take pictures of the top I want to see the bracing supports

Here is a picture of the top bracing - aluminum. I can take them out when the tank is empty for dry aquascaping etc...
The overflows are loosely installed here. The tank filled without even a creak from the stand. Next, it will be entombed in bubble wrap to protect if from flying nails etc... Next next... to start pre building the rock structures and plumbing sections..
IMG_8647.JPG

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the top bracing - aluminum. I can take them out when the tank is empty for dry aquascaping etc...
The overflows are loosely installed here. The tank filled without even a creak from the stand. Next, it will be entombed in bubble wrap to protect if from flying nails etc... Next next... to start pre building the rock structures and plumbing sections..
IMG_8647.JPG

Good idea with the bubble wrap and I would also wrap moving/heavy blankets over the bubble wrap as a stray nail from a nail gun will easily shoot through bubble wrap. Even at a distance. Just a thought...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back