• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Price for live rock?

Abby1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 125 gallon tank filled with live rock. Most has green button mushroom coral (I believe) and some has aiptasia. Is it a price per pound situation?

51C1108F-4AE0-4404-A234-0B7885A79DE2.jpeg

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your trying to sell live rock with palys and aptasia no, its a give to the neighborhood petco kid type thing.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, that reply was kind of unhelpful.

Aptasia is a problem and depending on how much is on the rock, could be a deal-breaker for many. Nonetheless, good live rock is a valuable resource. Determining the value depends on the kind of rock you have (man-made that's become live, Carribean LR, Indo-Pacific LR, etc.) and things like how much life it has and coraline algae coverage. For instance, just today I bought several pieces of Marshall, Fiji and Tonga from a person breaking down a massive long-time system. I paid $5 a pound and counted myself lucky to get several nice show pieces of quality rock for this price.

At a bare minimum, assuming the LR isn't overrun w/ aptasia, you should be able to get a buck a pound for the rock.

I'd recommend you post a for-sale ad on your local reef community's website and on Craigslist, with a good description and several pictures.

Good luck.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aptasia diminishes its' value and that type of paly is bread and butter and less desired due to reputation of zoa Pox risk.
There are people surprisingly out there looking for rock with aptasia to feed their berghia nudibranch or other aptasia eaters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back