Price increase..Really

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus I just saw on a major retailer/vendor that alot of us here use, a price increase in your salt. They are stating it's MAP increase. This is very disappointing. Not only could you not get the salt for months on end, but now with the salt supposedly becoming more available in short time there is a price increase...

How do you justify this?
If this is how Tropic does business, as i was a strong supporter of the brand, i feel this is a bad business move...i seen posts by you stating no increase in pricing...

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with lots of local restaurants that increased their prices significantly which I understand during this pandemic. However, we as the consumers suffers too, therefore be smarter and go elsewhere. In your case, is that the only salt brand out there? NOPE, then it’s time to switch.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you hear that?
I just ordered 2X 200G buckets for $70 each online. Places other than BRS sell the stuff.(Im assuming thats who you mean) And my LFS sells it for $85

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you hear that?
I just ordered 2X 200G buckets for $70 each online. Places other than BRS sell the stuff.(Im assuming thats who you mean) And my LFS sells it for $85
BRS on their website stated its going up due to MAP pricing. They now have it listed for $110 for bucket size. i have also seen on social media other vendors getting out in front of this morning stating it's going up,

Last edited:

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said this on March 15th in another post:

"I wish we had more control of retail pricing. But we don't. I want to be very clear about this, though, Tropic Marin has not had any recent price increases. If you are seeing elevated prices, it is a result of either distributors or retailers pricing decisions. Not originating with us, the manufacturer."

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said this on March 15th in another post:

"I wish we had more control of retail pricing. But we don't. I want to be very clear about this, though, Tropic Marin has not had any recent price increases. If you are seeing elevated prices, it is a result of either distributors or retailers pricing decisions. Not originating with us, the manufacturer."
I would like to hear that from Lou at this time, cause the vendors are pointing the finger at tropic for the price increase...also that was in March...things change i guess..

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@duffer thanks for the heads up on this. I just saw that a big online vendor bumped its price up from $99 to $110. So I’m probably going to look at another salt. But let’s be honest TM won’t care because someone else will replace me. The retailer won’t care because they are probably getting the same or better margin.

@Beau_B inflation has been around 1-1.5% for the past couple of years. A price increase from $99 to $110 is markup.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt their costs have increased in the past year. Shipping costs too

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think we need some answers here. I think there are circumstances where companies need to drive up the price for things. But just dont understand the rationale here. I mean recently Inpurchased new windows and they told me the price has been increased due to covid. Again, im not a supply chain expert but maybe window sells went down? Not sure but all I know is demand for salt has risen if anything

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening in all industries. You should see the cost increases in construction..

Where I work builds ag equipment. We have raised our prices 25% since January 1 of this year and still have less margin due to raw material cost. I would expect everything to go up this year.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think we need some answers here. I think there are circumstances where companies need to drive up the price for things. But just dont understand the rationale here. I mean recently Inpurchased new windows and they told me the price has been increased due to covid. Again, im not a supply chain expert but maybe window sells went down? Not sure but all I know is demand for salt has risen if anything

Increased sales does not mean production costs have went down. I have no idea of what their margins were a year ago or what they are today and I am sure they dont plan on telling me. I do know that from a business perspective raising prices when demand is high and supplies low is pretty much econ 101. Of course it runs the risk of driving customers to alternative products so it always carries risk, but if they have raised prices in the current environment that is far from surprising.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cue the parade of people who either have no idea what they are talking about, or have had their heads in the sand... or somewhere else.... for the past 14 months.

Take a guess how much it costed to ship a 40' container into the US last year? Roughly 5-6k in shipping.

Take a guess how much it costs now to ship a 40' container into the United States this year? $16,000 and climbing.

A lot of folks need to take less time spouting off their uninformed opinions to the masses, and more time actually reading and researching what the heck is going on in the world around them.

Cost of lumber is near double, cost of raw copper is DOUBLE what it costs last year, overseas freight cost are jumping double digits MONTHLY.... and here we have folks with jaws agape at a $10/bucket increase in the cost of a salt imported via container from Europe.

You are still in the crux of a pandemic, whether you want to admit that to yourselves or not is a whole other discussion.

Pricing and reliability of overseas goods will be extremely volatile through early 2022.

Sincerely, someone who makes their living selling imported manufactured goods from asia, to supplement our factory here in the USA.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone! We realize questions like this come up from time to time in the industry. As R2R admins, we want to encourage you to also be sure and reach out directly to vendors with these types of questions through their emails or posted direct methods of communication as they may not always see and respond to these types of threads.

Also, please remember our terms of service which specifically states:
  • Do not post unsubstantiated gossip, libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • R2R reserves the right to remove any thread, post, review, feedback, image etc. that might be considered a libelous statement against another member or company.
While we understand that you may have questions, we want to remind you to avoid speculating with unsubstantiated claims about any member or vendor. Those types of speculations will be removed at our discretion.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Beau_B inflation has been around 1-1.5% for the past couple of years. A price increase from $99 to $110 is markup.

Past 3yr avg is actually closer to 2% (1.83) but even then, compounded that’s about 6% vs. the 10% rise, so your point is taken. I don’t know when the last time the MAP price moved either. As someone noted, there could be regional labor or shipping issues.

When demand exceeds production, I think it’s reasonable they increased the price to help ease the shortage. Obviously not everyone agrees with that. I don’t use the salt so it doesn’t directly affect me; my opinion is of little value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back