OP
OP
N

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how long you've kept reefs, 15 yrs ago i could pick up a 5-6" torch for $50, think it was Indonesia banned coral exports-supply/demand, prices went up

I started off and on since 1998. It started to get disgusting 2002....here we are now. Selling shrooms buy the piece. Frags by the size of boogers....SAD.

Only thing I really want in this that I sold is my 400 Watt PFO...it was beautiful, that's all I think about. I still have the dual 250 Watt HQI ballast in my garage however. No light housing with it however.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As hobbyists we drive prices. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Some people care others don't. I prefer to deal with local hobbyist that still have some decency... i don't pay for fancy names and I dont understand the hype. Seems like retailers, growers, reef shops would do better if the hobby was more affordable so more people could enjoy it. I'd think more volume could trump these silly naming prices... but that's just my 2 cents.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your being lenient on the price of the snowmobile hobby lol
well, used sled was $5600, daughter and my snowsuits , gloves, boots and helmets were an easy $1800, not including accessories, baklava, etc Plus trailer which was another $1400

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, used sled was $5600, daughter and my snowsuits , gloves, boots and helmets were an easy $1800, not including accessories, baklava, etc Plus trailer which was another $1400
I was a mechanic for a yamaha and ktm dealership in northwest Indiana by Chicago. Some of those guys would buy a new sled, get a turbo installed, have ther track studded plus new gear. By the time they leave they would have a 30k bill. I couldnt believe it sometimes.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand, I understand the prices. These animals are taken from the wild, shipped around the world to end up in our aquariums, the entire way being kept warm, fed, oxygenated. I don't even want to guess the kind of losses that are suffered along the way. It's not like we're buying bags of rice after all.

That being said, I've seen some truly ludicrous prices, Dragon Eel $1700, Gem Tang $999, Harlequin Tusk $570.

As for corals and anenomes... That I truly do not understand. My lfs had a big rose bta $100, it split into 12 tiny btas $80 each.
2" frag of GSP $60. I mean I understand there is overhead to growing corals and anemones, but I'm guessing there's an insane markup as well.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off and on since 1998. It started to get disgusting 2002....here we are now. Selling shrooms buy the piece. Frags by the size of boogers....SAD.

Only thing I really want in this that I sold is my 400 Watt PFO...it was beautiful, that's all I think about. I still have the dual 250 Watt HQI ballast in my garage however. No light housing with it however.
I have 2 lumen bright minis, 2 250 hqi ballasts, and 2 14k phoenix bulbs.
Have had them for over a year now brand new since setup.
Setup with a ATI used unit I got for cheap.
Going to switch as soon as support parts arrive.
T5's are great but I have always been a MH guy.
Like the look of radions and they grow coral very well but just could not stomach the 2K price tag even though I could afford them.
Most in my area run heavy blue and thats why I did not get the radions.
Just recently saw a tank with them running at 14k and I swear it looks like MH.
May pick up a couple gen 4's if the price is good.
And the dollars keep rolling out the door lol.

OP
OP
N

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 lumen bright minis, 2 250 hqi ballasts, and 2 14k phoenix bulbs.
Have had them for over a year now brand new since setup.
Setup with a ATI used unit I got for cheap.
Going to switch as soon as support parts arrive.
T5's are great but I have always been a MH guy.
Like the look of radions and they grow coral very well but just could not stomach the 2K price tag even though I could afford them.
Most in my area run heavy blue and thats why I did not get the radions.
Just recently saw a tank with them running at 14k and I swear it looks like MH.
May pick up a couple gen 4's if the price is good.
And the dollars keep rolling out the door lol.

LED does not bring out the true life of what corals should look like, compared to MH. Its magnificent. The shimmer, the little details of a coral that is not shown on LED's.

OP
OP
N

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap! A coral price complaint thread and a lighting price complaint thread on the same day!

I don't care so much about lighting, I got 2 regular MH's ready to go. But I prefer HQI, but they don't make those anymore. I will opt for the over drive they sell now.

I just need to rig up a 220 volt from the breaker. Right now I just got back in the hobby...again. I gave up on the fight with nitrates, but I got that figured out now. Now its time to go all out, but cash is the question...I got bills.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back