Primnoa pacifica

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone point me to some information regarding Primnoa pacifica, or share with me some experiences about its captive care.

I obtained a frag of this from a Fiji shipment. I understand this NPS is from deep sea, other than that, there is little care info available.
PSX_20220125_212550.jpg

Of course, it was quickly overgrown with algae, which is fairly common when a NPS tries to adapt to a brightly lit environment. It remains sulky for a month or so. Then it started to extend some polyps. I hope it will continue to improve.

I think my system is able to support NPSs fairly well (you can see in this post). I appreciate any additional information regarding this particular NPS.

Thank you very much!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all I could find with a quick search. It sounds like if it survives, you'll be one of a select few that've been successful.

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all I could find with a quick search. It sounds like if it survives, you'll be one of a select few that've been successful.

Yeah. There are not much husbandry information available.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put it in total darkness, feed it as much as you can. nps arent supposed to be exposed to much if any light. thats why theyre called NPS. i imgaine that one is a filter feeder. id feed at least 50 ml per 10 gallons of phyto daily. the stuff i use isnt the crazy enriched opaque green stuff, its kinda soupy cause i cultured it myself. thats what you want to feed usually it contains more than just phyto cause you dont have a lab to culture it in. if you feed enough of it, the coral might survive.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if that came from fiji, that link isnt correct. it is native to the west coast of the usa. if it is, you cant keep it without a chiller

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put it in total darkness, feed it as much as you can. nps arent supposed to be exposed to much if any light. thats why theyre called NPS. i imgaine that one is a filter feeder. id feed at least 50 ml per 10 gallons of phyto daily. the stuff i use isnt the crazy enriched opaque green stuff, its kinda soupy cause i cultured it myself. thats what you want to feed usually it contains more than just phyto cause you dont have a lab to culture it in. if you feed enough of it, the coral might survive.
I'm not so sure about the total darkness part, NPS do come from shallow waters as well. In my tank,I have some NPS doing very well under insane amount of light (800-900Par). While they can't use light to photosynthesis, they (or at least some of them) can cope with light without problem.

In any case, the system is getting rather frequent feeding of planktons of different sizes (bacterio plankton, different types of phyto, rotifers ans copepod) that's why the polyps are out and about.

Perhaps it's the water temperature or some other factors which I cannot fulfill.

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that came from fiji, that link isnt correct. it is native to the west coast of the usa. if it is, you cant keep it without a chiller
Being in tropical country of Singapore, I have to use a chiller all the time. However, I keep my tank at 26-27 degree Celsius, which is probably too high for this.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back