Princess anthias dumb?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3. They were in the lfs for a few weeks. Looked happy and healthy. All swimming normal.
Put them in the tank and one bottoms out. 2 swimming and eating. One sits on the bottom and makes little effort to feed.
I've tried mysys, brine, blood worm, flakes.
Every fish chowd down but 1 anthias.
what the heck is wrong. Have read many similar accounts with anthias.
I've now put it in a netbox to try feed solo

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls describe more about this tank and the inhabitants. Pls also talk about how the 1st died & what your acclimation process is.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls describe more about this tank and the inhabitants. Pls also talk about how the 1st died & what your acclimation process is.
None have died.
Nothing a miss in the tank 88gal
13 other fish doing fine.
I put 3 anthias in at same time after floating bag for 30 minutes and adding tank water every 10.
Two other fish took to the new tank and are fine
All parameters optimal as of yesterday
Ph8.2
Alk 8.1
Cal 430
Nitrate 16
Mag 1430
Salinity 1.025
It's a new transfer.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank shot

Attachments

• 20231105_184353.jpg
    20231105_184353.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it happens. Anthias are a fickle fish @ best, you only can do so much. Do you have a strong pod population? Is the fishes fins looking frayed? It may be active when your not watching, they can be very skittish.
It looks fine.
Lots of live rock. Mandarin getts fat

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None have died.
Nothing a miss in the tank 88gal
13 other fish doing fine.
I put 3 anthias in at same time after floating bag for 30 minutes and adding tank water every 10.
Two other fish took to the new tank and are fine
All parameters optimal as of yesterday
Ph8.2
Alk 8.1
Cal 430
Nitrate 16
Mag 1430
Salinity 1.025
It's a new transfer.
What do you mean by “new transfer”? Did you mean to say it’s a recent addition to the DT via the tank transfer method?

Can you post a picture of the one that’s not doing well?

So you added tank water to the bag that’s floating in the DT three times during the 30 min soak. Did you double the amount of original bag water? Did you know the difference of water quality between the bag & your DT? Was there any meds in the bag water & did you add anything like ammonia remover in the soak process? Did you introduce them during day time or with lights on? Are you seeing any aggression issue from the flame hawk or the dwarf angel? Was it 4 or more weeks that they were in the LFS?

I may have had this species once in the last 20 years. LA has it as “difficult” so I must assume it’s either the acclimation process or it caught something while LFS brings in new fish regularly. I assume you didn’t QT.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before @sc50964 posted, I was going to ask about your due diligence with acclimation. Salinity especially. Most lfs don't keep their fish holding tanks at 35ppt (1.025 sg) because it reduces fish stress and you need to take care acclimating to your tank parameters.

That can be the biggest over looked aspect when you add new fish.

I don't necessarily think you can set specific procedures for every case. You'll have to play it by ear. The difference between lfs salinity and yours determines the steps needed.

The rule is that fish can drop down in salinity quickly (hence why lfs do it). But requires caution when going up.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “new transfer”? Did you mean to say it’s a recent addition to the DT via the tank transfer method?

Can you post a picture of the one that’s not doing well?

So you added tank water to the bag that’s floating in the DT three times during the 30 min soak. Did you double the amount of original bag water? Did you know the difference of water quality between the bag & your DT? Was there any meds in the bag water & did you add anything like ammonia remover in the soak process? Did you introduce them during day time or with lights on? Are you seeing any aggression issue from the flame hawk or the dwarf angel? Was it 4 or more weeks that they were in the LFS?

I may have had this species once in the last 20 years. LA has it as “difficult” so I must assume it’s either the acclimation process or it caught something while LFS brings in new fish regularly. I assume you didn’t QT.
I just moved from a 40gal to a 88 gal.
I didn't lose anything.
I added 3 Anthias and 2 out of three are fine. 1 fish decided to take a dive to the bottom and just sit there for 3 days.
The one fish is still alive. Today it has moved so hopefully it's getting better.
It's possible it was hit by osmotic shock. I found my ato was not added water and salinity was at 1.028 when I added it. But the other 2 were fine?
Will see how it goes

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wierd fish
Now one has popeye but looks to be getting better
Went through that with my previous anthias stocking. One got popeye and actually lost an eye, lasted just over 2 years after turning male. It recently faded away... Lost color, stopped eating and passed. Sucks that they just dont live that long @ all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back