Princess damsel with white fin rot and spots

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this princess damsel off of saltwater fish and when it came yesterday, i thought i was a wound because it was just the top, and now after not even a full day of being in my display (I know, should’ve qt’d) the tail i white and looks like the fin is almost melting, and had white above the eye and dorsal and pectoral fin. pics below

image.jpg image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One would wonder whether this could be flukes vs a bacterial infection vs both. I might consider a freshwater dip to see if you can see any flukes, and consider an antibiotic such as kanamycin possibly with praziquantel (though I don't like to mix medications). Are some of the spots actually on the glass? - could you get a clearer picture?

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One would wonder whether this could be flukes vs a bacterial infection vs both. I might consider a freshwater dip to see if you can see any flukes, and consider an antibiotic such as kanamycin possibly with praziquantel (though I don't like to mix medications). Are some of the spots actually on the glass? - could you get a clearer picture?
you can see the spot above the eye, i always have a lot of air bubbles around the tank (coral looks bad because it came in yesterday with fish)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 36

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you can see the spot above the eye, i always have a lot of air bubbles around the tank (coral looks bad because it came in yesterday with fish)
I would consider treatment with an antibiotic in a hospital tank. If it's available in your area you could also use Ruby Reef pro in your display tank. My rationale for treatment would be the rapidness that you've suggested its worsened - which suggests more of a bacterial issue as compared to an injury that would heal on its own.

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider treatment with an antibiotic in a hospital tank. If it's available in your area you could also use Ruby Reef pro in your display tank. My rationale for treatment would be the rapidness that you've suggested its worsened - which suggests more of a bacterial issue as compared to an injury that would heal on its own.
ok, i’ll look for ruby rally. If it’s not in my area, what antibiotic do i get? right now all i have is marine melafix

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok, i’ll look for ruby rally. If it’s not in my area, what antibiotic do i get? right now all i have is marine melafix
I would try to get kanamycin or neomycin (those should be dosed in a hospital tank). @vetteguy53081 may have some other ideas as well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this princess damsel off of saltwater fish and when it came yesterday, i thought i was a wound because it was just the top, and now after not even a full day of being in my display (I know, should’ve qt’d) the tail i white and looks like the fin is almost melting, and had white above the eye and dorsal and pectoral fin. pics below

image.jpg image.jpg

If it arrived with this fin damage, I would contact the shipper. Since the fin is getting worse (and presuming it isn't getting picked on in your tank) then a bacterial infection is likely - as @MnFish1 outlined.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it arrived with this fin damage, I would contact the shipper. Since the fin is getting worse (and presuming it isn't getting picked on in your tank) then a bacterial infection is likely - as @MnFish1 outlined.

Jay
how would fraun 2 work? i found some no idea how i have it. and i contacted the website so i’ll send what i can do with that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would fraun 2 work? i found some no idea how i have it. and i contacted the website so i’ll send what i can do with that
Furan 2 is also a good general antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 is also a good general antibiotic.

Jay
i have a sauce container of it, so what would the dosage be for 2 gallons of water, i’m putting it in a makeshift qt, so i need to know the dosing. i also have seachem neoplex as well, which o e would be better

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
thi looks like post-injury and has become infected and will as MnFish led you to - treatment using either seachem Kanaplex or Seachem SulfaPlex in a separate treatment tank

OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thi looks like post-injury and has become infected and will as MnFish led you to - treatment using either seachem Kanaplex or Seachem SulfaPlex in a separate treatment tank
can’t get either of those today so would neoplex work for now?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a sauce container of it, so what would the dosage be for 2 gallons of water, i’m putting it in a makeshift qt, so i need to know the dosing. i also have seachem neoplex as well, which o e would be better
What is a “sauce container”?

Does the package not have a dose listed? The trouble is different antibiotics have different levels of active ingredients in them, depending on the amount (if any) of filler used.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
J

Joem50095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a “sauce container”?

Does the package not have a dose listed? The trouble is different antibiotics have different levels of active ingredients in them, depending on the amount (if any) of filler used.

Jay
ah crap, forgot to take a picture of the container. it’s one of these. The one i have is handwriting saying 1/2 tsp every 20 gallons

Attachments

• 7F92DBAB-159A-453D-A510-C36DB775325A.jpeg
    7F92DBAB-159A-453D-A510-C36DB775325A.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my lfs closed and the one i ended up going to only had herbal based antibiotic, and i figured what i had would be better then that
agree- herbal ones rarely work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back