Prob with fish

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have any set method to get a problem fish out of a tank?

It seems to be almost impossible. I have two problem fish, a damsel and a dottyback, that have just become complete terrorists. I can’t seem to add anything else to the Tank without them torchering it. I can’t seem to catch them w a net either. I understand that they are “semi-aggressive” they seem to have allowed other fish into the tank with out so much as a nip. But recently they have just completely gone insane.
Any andvice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I’m going to have to remove all my rock work just to have a chance, and I don’t really think that is even an option.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you won't catch the dottyback unless you clear it of rock, they can be little terrors.

What kind do you have out of interest?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have any set method to get a problem fish out of a tank?

It seems to be almost impossible. I have two problem fish, a damsel and a dottyback, that have just become complete terrorists. I can’t seem to add anything else to the Tank without them torchering it. I can’t seem to catch them w a net either. I understand that they are “semi-aggressive” they seem to have allowed other fish into the tank with out so much as a nip. But recently they have just completely gone insane.
Any andvice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I’m going to have to remove all my rock work just to have a chance, and I don’t really think that is even an option.

Aside from tearing out the rock work, try a fish trap. Traps can be hit or miss though and take time. Baiting the trap works with food, but be prepared to catch others in the process.

Aside from a trap, move some rock work from one side of the tank and using egg crate as a divider to keep them in the open were you can net them could be a option.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those (strawberry) dottybacks, mine is a bit of a sod as well, but I seem to manage him.

Impossible to catch with rocks, if I needed to catch mine now it would be a nightmare as I would need to disturb my nem in the process.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea moving rock work prob won’t happen. I have too much glued to each other. And the corals and the nem would be another set of problems. I have tried a small baited fishhook “I know I’m an animal/inhuman” but that didn’t work either. Hopefully my new maroon clown will make it. They already took a bit out of the tail and a small bit off a side fin.
The only positive hope I have is that the maroon ate great today. I watched it get a nice few pieces of shrimp earlier and was able to tong feed it a few pieces a little while ago too. I know the fins will recover and the maroon will grow to be the boss of the tank. Just frustrated with these two terrorists.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has actually prompted me to purchase a fish trap and get rid of my dottyback. Since I moved him into my new tank he's been a real pain towards my gobies, so he's either going to my LFS or to my friend who has larger stock he won't be able to terrorise.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my dottyback to my other aquarium where he can't pick on the goby. The clownfish don't bother with him and he can't scare them there.

How did you get on with catching your two fish?

fu2utg.jpg

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got absolutely nowhere with catching the fish. They seem to have eased up on the clown. He is standing his ground. I am making sure he is eating three times a day. Over the past week I have noticed his fins start to get a little better. He is active and is always eager to take food. I target feed him and he takes from tongs or a tube with no problem. And when I feed the Tank he gets right in there and gets his mouth fill. I think he will be ok. As long as I keep him fed him I’m sure/hoping his fins will make a full recovery. Thanks for all the advice.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was it just a clown fish you had which is being bothered?

The clown fish will eventually grow to a size where the dottyback and damsel won't get much change out of him if they do try anything. They can handle themselves clowns can.

As a pair they also look out for each other which is nice.

OP
OP
Jguido1987

Jguido1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just the clown that was being bothered. He was a new addition to the Tank less then 10days ago. I may have been a little over nervous during the first few days. I think he is gonna be ok. He has a couple of torn fins but they haven’t gotten worse and I think they are going to heal up. It’s a maroon clown so he is by himself so he doesn’t have the back up of a partner. I def feel a lot better about his survival rate now that they have backed off of him.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not nice to see and in my case I have an alternative tank, so easily solved. Your clown should be fine, especially when he grows.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back