Probelm Metallic Blue Muchrooms

  • Thread starter Thread starter iramack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iramack

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2016
Messages
37
Reaction score
30
Location
Dallas Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all............First post here on R2R.

I have a question about killing/getting rid of a couple of metallic blue mushrooms that have now grown to the point where they are stinging nearby LPS. The mushrooms were hitchhikers I believe. Tank is 6 months old today.................Yippee!! Mostly LPS and now thinking since my stylophora is doing well, adding more SPS (slowly)

Can I inject them with hot water or something like that? Can I cut them down with scissors or blade?
Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

Steve
 
Hi Steve and Welcome.

Cutting them off can be problematic because any tissue left has the potential to grow back. Best bet is to remove the rock structure the mushrooms are on if that is an option. Covering small areas with underwater epoxy is one method but it's time consuming.
You can try blasting them with flow and light and see if they detach, also time consuming.
You're lucky it's only a few, mushroom can be incredibly invasive.
 
Thanks for the info and the warm welcome. I will try to manage them as best I can for now. They are encroaching on my Micromussa Lords which are doing really well where they are and I dont want to have to move them as I am already running out of space in my JBJ 45 Already looking to my next upgrade tank, after the holidays. Prolly a Red Sea Reefer 350 if Santa can slide it down the chimney...LOL

Steve
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new