Problem or new tank syndrome

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
0.03 phos and 10 nitrate are good nutrient levels. Your phosphate is actually about bare minimum, it's not a problem.

You're just in the ugly stage. It's not going to go away until your tank matures, and gets enough non-pest algae growing to compete with the pest algae. Pest algae (and cyano, which I lump with pest algae for the purposes of this explanation) thrives on empty space, and slower-growing non-pest algae needs time to replace it.

So, yes. Cleanup crew, manual removal. IMO, don't worry too much about the bulk of it, though. Just keep it off your corals. It'll go away on its own eventually as the tank balances out, without too much scrubbing. Any algae not on your corals is primarily an aesthetic issue, unless it's driving your nutrients down. Do NOT let your nutrients get low. Aside from the fact that it'll hurt your corals, it stunts the growth of the non-pest algae, while not harming the pest algae much. To get through the uglies, keep nutrients at least where they are now, and ride it out.

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any coraline in the tank now? If not, I would. I used Arc Helix on mine.

My 40 is about a month ahead of you and I've got pretty good coverage on the glass and starboard - but still almost nothing on the rocks. No hair algae on the starboard at all - but fighting some on my rocks (which were dry).
[/QUOTE
I still haven’t introduced corraline algae in my tank, but I’ll pick some from my LFS tomorrow. I also used dry rock, well dry reef rock.

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.03 phos and 10 nitrate are good nutrient levels. Your phosphate is actually about bare minimum, it's not a problem.

You're just in the ugly stage. It's not going to go away until your tank matures, and gets enough non-pest algae growing to compete with the pest algae. Pest algae (and cyano, which I lump with pest algae for the purposes of this explanation) thrives on empty space, and slower-growing non-pest algae needs time to replace it.

So, yes. Cleanup crew, manual removal. IMO, don't worry too much about the bulk of it, though. Just keep it off your corals. It'll go away on its own eventually as the tank balances out, without too much scrubbing. Any algae not on your corals is primarily an aesthetic issue, unless it's driving your nutrients down. Do NOT let your nutrients get low. Aside from the fact that it'll hurt your corals, it stunts the growth of the non-pest algae, while not harming the pest algae much. To get through the uglies, keep nutrients at least where they are now, and ride it out.
Thanks man, I will keep my nutrients like this and I will also pick up some CUC. Any suggestion for hair algae(snails, crabs?) I will also introduce corraline algae

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long hair algae, you have to pull out yourself. Short hair algae, trochus? And check out ReefCleaners for recommendations (and good prices, and lots of nice snails) for what to use.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I am in a situation where I don’t know if I have a problem or it’s something normal. My Nuvo 10 has been up for 3 months now. All parameters are in check. I have 6 acroporas in there for about a month now. They are growing and full of color. Recently I’m running into an alarga issue. At first it was a red slimmey algae that would stick on the rocks and on some of my corals. Air bubbles would start to appear and first thing I thought of was dinos. I tested my water again and my PO4 was .03(tested with hanna UL) and my nitrates are at 10(Salifert) today I started to see green hair algae. Bubbles did start to go away so I’m thinking it was some type of new tank algae. Any opinions will help, thanks in advanced.
New tanks have lots of issues the first year. Plan on having coral loss if you're adding Acropora so soon. I'm assuming this tank was set up with dry dead rock and sand? If so, getting the biology going can be difficult.

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks have lots of issues the first year. Plan on having coral loss if you're adding Acropora so soon. I'm assuming this tank was set up with dry dead rock and sand? If so, getting the biology going can be difficult.
I’ started with reef live rock: I’m not planning on deaths but I’ll be ready to act if so. Acros have been in there for a month already and are thriving rather than surviving. I’m did not add sand: went bottomless. I don’t think lack of bacteria is the issue as I am monitoring with Seneye.

Xyclade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets worse, a check on your RODI water could make sense. I once faced this kind of algae when my DI resin was near depleted, and leaching some silicate.

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets worse, a check on your RODI water could make sense. I once faced this kind of algae when my DI resin was near depleted, and leaching some silicate.
Thanks for your response. I’m happy to say that it’s getting better. Added some clean up crew and area is clean

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say your tank looks great
Thanks a lot man!!! Quick night Pic
35CB3E7F-DECD-4CF5-8E8B-537E4F52EE56.jpeg

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Pretty and I love the color spread as it draws your eyes in every direction as oposed to 1 focal point and then most people wont even notice the rest of the tank trying to get mine balanced like that it's an all softy got last of coral (for now hehe)comming tommarow for it

OP
OP
O

oscar14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks to be bare bottom hows that working out for you? iv never ran bare bottom before.
[/QUOTEt
Thanks a lot!!! Well this was my first time going bare bottom. Since I knew that I was not adding sand which hosts a big part of bacteria, I added cylinder shaped media. I added 2 Dr Tim’s one and only through a spread of 2 weeks for every bottle. Honestly at the beginning some gunk was accumulating, but one good perk of bare bottom is high flow. A week ago I was battling brown algae and I don’t think it would’ve been as easy to disappear if I had sand.

Back