Problem seporax po4

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys.
I have a problem. My phosphates were kept at 0.1-0.15. I added siporax 50L and my phosphates started to grow within a month, they rose to 0.5 according to Hannah. Maybe I made a mistake by not washing it before laying it?
but I didn't see any dust from it. More than once I took out the basket and cleaned the bottom and walls. There was no dust from it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Privet! :) Apologies for not being able to help you with the Siporax question, I had never heard about it until just now. Luckily, you have plenty of ways to control the phosphate levels in your tank.

First, could you tell us a bit about your setup?

Remember; phosphate levels do not rise out of the blue! What goes in must come out- so we need to balance the level between nutrition added to the tank and filtration measures.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax should not have much affect on PO4. NO3 it will for sure after it colonizes. Dusty or not it should not raise the PO4 especially by 0.35 ppm.

Also, 50 liters is a massive amount. You will likely bottom out the nitrates later and need to start removing it. Most systems only need 2-5 liters.

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bank is 800 liters. Living stone 40kg, siporax 50l (a month in the tank). My nitrates are holding 30, phosphates have reached 0.5 today according to Hannah.

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Мy tank

Attachments

• 20230601_134357.jpg
    20230601_134357.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax should not have much affect on PO4. NO3 it will for sure after it colonizes. Dusty or not it should not raise the PO4 especially by 0.35 ppm.

Also, 50 liters is a massive amount. You will likely bottom out the nitrates later and need to start removing it. Most systems only need 2-5 liters.
I understand it. But the result is different. And every day the phosphate grows.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure keep an eye on nitrates. In my system, siporax took several months before it was totally colonized. Yours could easily go to zero and then dinos can be a bigger problem. My system runs at similar nitrates and phosphates as yours. I’ve tried siporax in the past and have since removed it.

C32CAC49-5722-4009-9B90-CB4AE6EE343B.jpeg

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Обязательно следите за нитратами. В моей системе сипораксу потребовалось несколько месяцев, прежде чем он полностью заселился. Ваш может легко упасть до нуля, и тогда динозавры могут стать большей проблемой. Моя система работает на тех же нитратах и фосфатах, что и ваша. Я пробовал сипоракс в прошлом и с тех пор удалил его.

Тhanks

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure keep an eye on nitrates. In my system, siporax took several months before it was totally colonized. Yours could easily go to zero and then dinos can be a bigger problem. My system runs at similar nitrates and phosphates as yours. I’ve tried siporax in the past and have since removed it.

Added 950g fauna Marin phos 0.04. Lewis nopox red sea.
nitrates cost 50, phosphates cost 0.342

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate addition likely did not change, but the rock/sand that was binding it early on is not low anymore and the water column level is rising.

Aragonite binds po4. It binds more as water level rises and unbinds it when water level gets lower. The aragonite can hold a massive amount. The aragonite can hold a lot in new tanks and keep po4 low, but it eventually gets full and the water level rises.

Do not be surprised if you use some media, the water level lower and you are happy, then just to have the water level rise again in a day or two. This is the aragonite unbinding po4.

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a phosphate test. the result is 0.54 it is growing again
Phosphate addition likely did not change, but the rock/sand that was binding it early on is not low anymore and the water column level is rising.

Aragonite binds po4. It binds more as water level rises and unbinds it when water level gets lower. The aragonite can hold a massive amount. The aragonite can hold a lot in new tanks and keep po4 low, but it eventually gets full and the water level rises.

Do not be surprised if you use some media, the water level lower and you are happy, then just to have the water level rise again in a day or two. This is the aragonite unbinding po4.
I just did a phosphate test. the result is 0.54 it is growing again

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask, is there a reason why you have the siporax oriented like that? Do you have water flowing vertically through those columns?

Have you considered the idea of removing stagnant areas inside your suporax sections by possibly turning those containers on their side?

The reason why I ask, is that it seems you'll get better use of the media if you allow flow to access more surface area. And forgive me, if you're trying to artificially create a more hypoxic zone then disregard my entire post.

Not saying this is contributing to your rise of P, I agree with others that this seems more like a coincidence rather than correlation.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with Siporax. Is there any chance it contains silicates? The addition of silica is known to falsely RAISE Hanna test results for phosphates significantly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back