OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you don't know your complete parameters that's a concern. Corals can be under stress for weeks or months before they show outward signs of decline.
I agree I was taking water to my LFS to test every 4th day to make sure and my nitrates were 5 ppm last time we check and that was 10/5 I just don’t have money at the moment to buy a tester for nitrates

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I was taking water to my LFS to test every 4th day to make sure and my nitrates were 5 ppm last time we check and that was 10/5 I just don’t have money at the moment to buy a tester for nitrates
Well you are learning, that's good. Look generally most of the first year weekly water changes take care of replenishing elements in your tank. But at some point when you have enough corals dosing is required to keep things stable. Most start with hand dosing then progress to a dosing device. Alk is the main source you should be checking to determine your dosing needs. Measure alk at the same time over 3 days and determine your alk consumption. This will tell you how much alk you need to dose daily and also calcium because they typically get consumed proportionally. Don't worry about magnesium. It only consumes at 1/10th the ratio of alk and cal so weekly water changes suffice. You want nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1 if you have a mixed reef tank with LPS.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are learning, that's good. Look generally most of the first year weekly water changes take care of replenishing elements in your tank. But at some point when you have enough corals dosing is required to keep things stable. Most start with hand dosing then progress to a dosing device. Alk is the main source you should be checking to determine your dosing needs. Measure alk at the same time over 3 days and determine your alk consumption. This will tell you how much alk you need to dose daily and also calcium because they typically get consumed proportionally. Don't worry about magnesium. It only consumes at 1/10th the ratio of alk and cal so weekly water changes suffice. You want nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1 if you have a mixed reef tank with LPS.
People have told me that phosphate should be 0.01- 0.03 or that’s just another BS from people that aren’t trying to help me?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have told me that phosphate should be 0.01- 0.03 or that’s just another BS from people that aren’t trying to help me?
Ultra low nutrients was a fad some years back and very experienced SPS guys still use this approach too here and there but considering the error ratio of .03 on a Hanna tester then you might actually have 0 phosphate in your tank which leads to coral decline and other bad problems.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra low nutrients was a fad some years back and very experienced SPS guys still use this approach too here and there but considering the error ratio of .03 on a Hanna tester then you might actually have 0 phosphate in your tank which leads to coral decline and other bad problems.
If nitrates are high what can I do to get rid of the rest that I don’t need?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrates are high what can I do to get rid of the rest that I don’t need?
Not sure what you are asking? What do you consider high nitrates? They can be reduced by feeding less, water changes, wet skimming,etc... I prefer to weekly dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste so it reduces nitrate naturally. But I keep my nitrates at 15 for my SPS dominant mixed reef.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m new to dosing, I’ve been temping to keep my parameters in check. I thought I finally got it and stop testing everyday and decided to test every 4th day but I was wrong.

So on the 10/6 my parameters were:
Phos- .03
Cal- 482
Mag- 1360
Alk- 9.0

On 10/10:
Phos- 0.02
Mag- 1330
Alk- 9
Cal- 529

My torches have been receding and I need help please
I do not believe your tests have anything to do with your torches Nor a reason why your calcium rise would make any difference. The most likely issue is a measurement error. one way or the other

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the 10/6 my parameters were:
Phos- .03
Cal- 482
Mag- 1360
Alk- 9.0

On 10/10:
Phos- 0.02
Mag- 1330
Alk- 9
Cal- 529

My torches have been receding and I need help please

Just an fyi, the magnesium did not get consumed between those two readings. The change is either test error, a salinity change, or both. Don’t try to raise the magnesium dose because of that small drop.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back