Problem with Octopus BH-1000 Protein Skimmer .

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yusuf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
86
Reaction score
2
Location
Jordan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i just set it up like instructions said but the problem is that it dont make much bubbles ( no micro the skimming ones ) did i do something wrong ?
1891294_10201681358135991_1627712061_n.jpg
1511357_10201681357175967_2060362000_n.jpg
 
Unplug the unit. Wait a minute til it drains. Cover air intake, plug unit back in wait til it fills then release air intake. I have the exact same skimmer :)
 
Last edited:
Check the ailine for saltcreep at the pump.
 
Unplug the unit. Wait a minute til it drains. Cover air intake, plug unit back in wait til it fills then release air intake. I have the exact same skimmer :)

I did it like 10 times and no use :cry:
 
I had this issue because I plugged in the air intake (grey plastic cylinder) into the opening at the top, the grey cylinder with the airline tubing attached should hang freely, not plugged into anything. The plastic airline tubing needs to remain connected to the pump though.
 
Try blowing into the airline until it bubbles into tank then give a hard suck until it bubbles start. This is the way I have to (re)prime my bh2000
 
Stupid question. That's a saltwater tank, right? I see what looks to be a lot of fresh water plants and gravel.
 
Last edited:
I did what u guys said but no use , maybe the pump has a problem ? Should i return it ? Logzer sorry can u describe again please because i didnt understand :/ do you mean the part that attached to the pump ?
 
Protein skimmers do not work on fresh water tanks!
 
I know it will not skim but not producing bubbles ?!

You won't get the fine bubbles due to the difference in surface tension between fresh and salt water. Skimmers simply don't work on fresh water tanks.
 
You won't get the fine bubbles due to the difference in surface tension between fresh and salt water. Skimmers simply don't work on fresh water tanks.

Ok great ! but are you totally sure ? so i can buy salt now .
 
Yep, totally sure. :)

Protein skimmers designed for saltwater use will not produce proper bubbles in chamber as described above.

There are protein skimmers for freshwater use, but they're designed differently. Most are used in ponds.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new