Problem with sps's

  • Thread starter Thread starter renato120
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2014
Messages
2,234
Reaction score
1,333
Location
Nashua,NH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have some problems with some of my sps's. A couple months ago some of them started to bleach from tip down. I fixed the problem, but now there is algae growing on the tips of the sps's. I scrape as much as I can, but the next day its back there. What can I do?
 
I've done it in the past, you can use bone cutters and clip the tips down to the healthy part so it can start to heal.
 
+1 Clip and Let Heal. You'd think algae would then start growing on the freshly clipped part, but it usually doesn't before the coral grows over it. Then, it will continue to grow as normal.
 
I've done it in the past, you can use bone cutters and clip the tips down to the healthy part so it can start to heal.
+1 Clip and Let Heal. You'd think algae would then start growing on the freshly clipped part, but it usually doesn't before the coral grows over it. Then, it will continue to grow as normal.
The bad thing is there are no place to cut
AFD4C928-EB0C-4AAC-AC30-4BA9CA7531DB.jpg

6BC41D7C-1EA5-4D42-B18E-A0C8114E9038.jpg
 
yea thats a tough one, that's also happened to me before. Try your best to keep the nuturients down. Do you have a good cc crew, tangs?
 
Okay, then do it in reverse. Clip off what healthy bits you can and just mount those to the display. Toss the rest. It may sound like you'd be giving up a lot, but IMO you're fighting a losing battle with that piece and the algae.
 
Okay, then do it in reverse. Clip off what healthy bits you can and just mount those to the display. Toss the rest. It may sound like you'd be giving up a lot, but IMO you're fighting a losing battle with that piece and the algae.
I did cut some pieces on one of them. The other one not much I can do. Will see if its gonna get better.
 
I've unfortunately experienced somewhat similar situations. The tiny pinky sized piece that I recovered from a larger piece, took off and within a few months it was the same size and eventually surpassed the size of the original that I was still trying to pluck algae from. Now I know, if there's a dead spot on an acro, I just clip it well below and it heals up. It's taken me a lot of frustration to figure out there's no shortcuts with these things. Good luck!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new