Problematic Mg and Ca.

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys so 9 months into reefing.
And now first time I faced elemental problem. Had a drop of Kh from 8.0 to 7.0 and my expensive torch started losing flesh and some polyps. The problem here is that I cant get my dosing system run because Mg and Ca are redline since the first testing without dosing anything. My question is if I start dosing all three(Kh, Ca, Mg) high Mg and Ca can become harmful for the reef?

Attachments

• VID_20210812_194033.mp4
    30.2 MB

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video does nothing on my screen.

What are the values?

in any case, boosting alk by 1 dKH with a two part will only boost calcium by less than 7 ppm and magnesium by less than 1 ppm, so they won't noticeably change when measuring with a kit.

OP
OP
Alegeo_dragonette

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my testing except the kh which is now around 7.3

FB_IMG_1628796599803.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should hand dose your alk product only and let the others fall naturally as randy was trying to tell you.

Then you can figure out your consumption rate and implement an auto dosing strategy once youre happy with the levels of all three.

OP
OP
Alegeo_dragonette

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have been dosing magnesium, the >1500 ppm values for it are likely test error or very high salinity.
The salinity I started was 1.026 but last month I gradually dropped to 1.025 today tested the Mg on a freshly mixed saltwater and it was reading around 1250 at 1.024 but the problem is that cant just dose Kh because I will end up with 2 5L canisters of Mg and Ca supplements and you can only buy these in pack of all 3.looking and asking everywhere to why Mg and Ca is naturally all the time high from the beginning even with waterchanges.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity I started was 1.026 but last month I gradually dropped to 1.025 today tested the Mg on a freshly mixed saltwater and it was reading around 1250 at 1.024 but the problem is that cant just dose Kh because I will end up with 2 5L canisters of Mg and Ca supplements and you can only buy these in pack of all 3.looking and asking everywhere to why Mg and Ca is naturally all the time high from the beginning even with waterchanges.
What salt mix are you using?
If pro it will mix high but your alk is still low so idk.

What are you using to measure salinity?

Buy some baking soda and make a diy alk solution to raise your alk only while your mag and cal drops. Then you dont need to use your other solution until youre ready.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's no way appropriate dosing boosted magnesium from 1250 ppm to >1500 ppm.

I think we need more info on what you are adding to what size tank, but IMO, the magnesium is test error.

It would take a truly massive amount of magnesium supplement to boost magnesium by 250 ppm. Like 2 L of my DIY recipe (e.g., BRS uses this recipe) in a 100 gallon tank.

OP
OP
Alegeo_dragonette

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using?
If pro it will mix high but your alk is still low so idk.

What are you using to measure salinity?

Buy some baking soda and make a diy alk solution to raise your alk only while your mag and cal drops. Then you dont need to use your other solution until youre ready.
Aquaforest reef salt and in emergencies aquaforest Probiotic for nitrate. My refractometer is the D-D and TDS 0 its a headache that cant solve that problem.

OP
OP
Alegeo_dragonette

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way appropriate dosing boosted magnesium from 1250 ppm to >1500 ppm.

I think we need more info on what you are adding to what size tank, but IMO, the magnesium is test error.

It would take a truly massive amount of magnesium supplement to boost magnesium by 250 ppm. Like 2 L of my DIY recipe (e.g., BRS uses this recipe) in a 100 gallon tank.
Let me list all about my reef to give you some insights.
>custom made 200L display tank with 50L sump(refugium+uv).
>Products I use:Aquaforest Reefsalt, aquaforest Probiotic salt, Aquaforest Bio S(bacteria solution), Redsea AB+, Aquaforest trace elements ABC.
>lights hydra 64HD. Thats all and all that are and go into the tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you calibrate your refracto often?

Your salt says it mixes up to 1380mag, 440cal and 8.2dkh at 33ppt
But its discontinued. Are you still using the reef salt? Or did you maybe happen to buy the reef mineral salt mix vs the reef salt mix?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>Products I use:Aquaforest Reefsalt, aquaforest Probiotic salt, Aquaforest Bio S(bacteria solution), Redsea AB+, Aquaforest trace elements ABC.
And have you tested alk cal and mag in a fresh mixed batch of salt water yet???

OP
OP
Alegeo_dragonette

Alegeo_dragonette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you calibrate your refracto often?

Your salt says it mixes up to 1380mag, 440cal and 8.2dkh at 33ppt
But its discontinued. Are you still using the reef salt? Or did you maybe happen to buy the reef mineral salt mix vs the reef salt mix?
Not informed if discontinued since bought 40Kg last month but found the readings of the package

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210813_182713_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813_182713_com.android.chrome.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 21

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless I'm misreading, I do not see the three part alk/calcium/magnesium product listed.

What exactly are you dosing for these?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't dosed yet! I have auto dosing system and Aquaforest components pro for Kh Mg and Ca but haven't used yet due to high Mg and Ca

OK, it's fine to dose just the alk for a while, or all three in balanced amounts.

I don't think the magnesium is accurate. Even if it is, using the magnesium part of the three part should not raise it, just keep it where it is.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back