Problems with Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter Start XLM

jmo040483

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started cycling my Waterbox 20 cube last weekend and used the microbacter XLM and their quickcycl product to get it started. I’m still showing max level of ammonia and nitrite according to my test kit. Is anyone else having issues with this product

Rural

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled fine with mine. Will post pic. Be sure you didnt over do the quick cycle ammonia, if you did may need a water change.

OP
OP
jmo040483

jmo040483

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the instructions that they provided. I did a 5 gallon water change after 5 days of no changes and there’s still no change to the ammonia reading. Nitrite have climbed gradually and now they’re at the max reading the last few days

Rural

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200419_115245.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey at least you're getting nitrite so that's a good sign.

I'm on day 2 of using this product. Still showing 2 ppm ammonia but it's only the 2nd day. I kinda wish I went with Dr Tim's like I always have but wanted to try this out because of the good reviews. Keep us updated so I can compare my progress to yours lol.

Last edited:

SharkBait72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local LFS recommended this product to jump start the cycle. Once i got home and did more research the instructions state to not use with "live" sand in big bold letters. Sand is already in tank so no turning back now. Also, where exactly should I get an ammonia source. I asked the LFS if I should ghost feed or add frozen shrimp. Which he explained wasn't necessary. Any additional assistance would be appreciated. I have 120 lbs of dry rock showing up on Friday to Aquascape this weekend. When should I add the Microbacter? TIA

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your cycle go? I just started mine 4 days ago with both products you mentioned above. I actually only used the Quikcycl on day 1 as my levels of Ammonia were already 2ppm on day 2. It seems to be working. After 4 doses/days of Start XLM Ammonia is about 1.5, Nitrites are a little below 1 & I have Nitrates already @ about 35 on the RedSea test kit. I'm hoping the Nitrites will start to drop because as I'm reading Nitrates they should start to go to work on the Nitrites. Ammonia did drop about a half a point since my last test on day 2.

Rural

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your cycle go? I just started mine 4 days ago with both products you mentioned above. I actually only used the Quikcycl on day 1 as my levels of Ammonia were already 2ppm on day 2. It seems to be working. After 4 doses/days of Start XLM Ammonia is about 1.5, Nitrites are a little below 1 & I have Nitrates already @ about 35 on the RedSea test kit. I'm hoping the Nitrites will start to drop because as I'm reading Nitrates they should start to go to work on the Nitrites. Ammonia did drop about a half a point since my last test on day 2.

Mine went fine. Really good. Added all the usuals per the wwc/brs barebottom method and had Coraline all over at the 3 month mark. Got my clean up crew from reef cleaners and they had multiple shades of coraline to seed the tank. Added 3 frags when coraline was spotted and they are doing fine and encrusting well.

Now guess what. Since my day 15 i have not done a single parameter test aside from salinity. I guess simple and stable AND patience pays off! @randyBRS

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went fine. Really good. Added all the usuals per the wwc/brs barebottom method and had Coraline all over at the 3 month mark. Got my clean up crew from reef cleaners and they had multiple shades of coraline to seed the tank. Added 3 frags when coraline was spotted and they are doing fine and encrusting well.

Now guess what. Since my day 15 i have not done a single parameter test aside from salinity. I guess simple and stable AND patience pays off! @randyBRS

Awesome man! Glad to hear. I hope it doesn't cause a major issue with my cycle and I noticed a few other comments saying they did the same but I had live sand. Unfortunately it was too late once I realized Brightwell says NOT to use it. Seems to still be working as I have levels of all 3 and they grew within the first two days and are starting to come down now (NH4 & NO2). May just add a couple more days to my cycle. Glad to hear your balance is so good. Consistency is king in this hobby. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I can share some images of stock soon!

jkap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the same product combo and today I officially have no nitrites. My numbers did not quite follow some of the typical cycle charts which was a little stressful since it's my first time. My ammonia never showed more than .5 even though I used the correct dosage. I used live sand which probably converted the ammonia pretty fast, before I could measure a spike. My nitrates and nitrites spiked about the same time. Nitrates went up to 60 and nitrites went up to 4, then they stayed there for awhile. I read that high nitrites can prolong cycling so i did a 10% water change. The next day my nitrites dropped to 3 and have been steadily declining since then. I believe the quikcycl bottle advertises a 5 day cycle. In total, mine took 21 days.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live sand and used Microbacter XLM. I just recently completed te cycle. Took exactly 1 month for me. In not sure how much life is actually in live sand anyway to be honest. So yea I am now a believer in Microbacter XLM. My ammonia went to 0 in maybe 1.5 weeks and it took longer to see my nitrite at 0. It was stuck on 2ppm for a while.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the bacteria and just buy some cycled live rock. We drop $200 on a one INCH frag...$100 worth of fully cycled live rock is a drop in the bucket.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would stick a $200 coral into a tank that hasn't completed the Nitrogen cycle. Seems kind of daring. I'm on day 6 and my Ammonia is starting to come down. I'm at around 1.2ppm, Nitrites are still hanging at 2ppm and Nitrates at about 40. I'm wondering if I can put some Chaeto in my Fuge is that would help to keep the cycle moving or if it would kill it. Heading to my LFS tomorrow to have them do a water test. I'll probably do a 10% water change tomorrow night as well. Still adding Start XLM as directed.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to be stuck with the Nitrites for another week or so as well. Ammonia is dropping nicely. Still have some but it's steadily decreasing; reading .7ppm. NitrAtes are quite high (50) so clearly the bacteria is doing its job and I have been seeing Nitrates since day 2 of the cycle. However Nitrites are stuck around 1-1.5 and they have been since day 2. I did a 15% water change on day 7 and plan on doing another 15% tomorrow (day 9). A buddy of mine has a reef tank and wanted to give me a few things so I took one of his Amenones and 2 small Zooantid colonies. They're all doing great. The anemone is very happy. I read that Nitrites don't bother corals much so I figured I'd give it a go. All seem to be doing well.

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the same product combo and today I officially have no nitrites. My numbers did not quite follow some of the typical cycle charts which was a little stressful since it's my first time. My ammonia never showed more than .5 even though I used the correct dosage. I used live sand which probably converted the ammonia pretty fast, before I could measure a spike. My nitrates and nitrites spiked about the same time. Nitrates went up to 60 and nitrites went up to 4, then they stayed there for awhile. I read that high nitrites can prolong cycling so i did a 10% water change. The next day my nitrites dropped to 3 and have been steadily declining since then. I believe the quikcycl bottle advertises a 5 day cycle. In total, mine took 21 days.

I have live sand and used Microbacter XLM. I just recently completed te cycle. Took exactly 1 month for me. In not sure how much life is actually in live sand anyway to be honest. So yea I am now a believer in Microbacter XLM. My ammonia went to 0 in maybe 1.5 weeks and it took longer to see my nitrite at 0. It was stuck on 2ppm for a while.

I'm about to use Microbacter on a new tank, was hesitant after seeing in bold letters DO NOT USE LIVE ROCK/SAND, because I'll be using live sand and dry live rock (side note - don't know how that works).

Do we have any official word as to why on this? Are we putting two different strains of bacteria at war when you do this?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to use Microbacter on a new tank, was hesitant after seeing in bold letters DO NOT USE LIVE ROCK/SAND, because I'll be using live sand and dry live rock (side note - don't know how that works).

Do we have any official word as to why on this? Are we putting two different strains of bacteria at war when you do this?
Yeah, that is probably the case - different strains of microbes not necessarily at war per se, but could be competing against each other (specifically for space) or whatever. I used live sand, was fine.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why this bacteria takes so much longer than others. Is there a benefit to this certain strain? Did those of you who solely used XLM and ammonia to cycle, did you not have an ugly phase during your tanks life?

I'm currently on day 4 and haven't seen a change in ammonia yet. I'm using API so I'm not really trying to read into it too much but it seems darker than when I started. I've used Dr. Tim's in the past and it took about 5-7 days for ammonia and nitrite to zero out from 2ppm. Fritz Turbo start was even quicker. I've been a fan of all my brightwell products in the past and that's what has me questioning if there is some other benefit to this certain strain of bacteria? I also don't really understand why other forms of bacteria should not be added, unless this strain is easily outcompeted (which would make sense at as it seems slower).

Ztealthman117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are used dry rock and dry sand to start my 35 gallon cube and my parameters were the same my ammonia went to 0 in around a week and a half but my nitrite was stuck at .5 for a week. still waiting. 18 days in

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same product on my latest tank and my cycle took about 6 weeks to complete (which is the longest cycle I’ve ever done). Not sure if Microbacter actually caused the cycle to be longer, but it definitely didn’t help speed it up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back