Problems with maintain Alkalinity

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining* - Didn’t reread the title before I submitted.

I feel my alkalinity test results are a bit more all over the place

The link below is my dosing schedule, test results, and picture of the tank.

[Apex Dosing Amount and Schedule + Tank](https://imgur.com/a/tzvEaxc)

I am posting this because I am a bit uncertain why is seems alk is so unstable. Over the last three days the Alk dose has gone from 19ml to 28ml and it doesn’t seem to be any more or less stable (The largest dip was a calibration run).

Why does it seem that Alk has not increased even though the dose has increased by close to 50% of the original dose?

I does Alk and cal in equal amounts using ESV B ionic.

My (newish) sps frags seem fine in the current range but I am having a hard time interpreting these results. Another strange thing I noted is that I am seeing some of the largest drops in dKH at night.

The tank is roughly 60 gallons net.

Does this seem a bit unstable for apex dosing to anyone else?

Is it ever advisable to dose more DKh than cal when using 2-part?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining* - Didn’t reread the title before I submitted.

I feel my alkalinity test results are a bit more all over the place

The link below is my dosing schedule, test results, and picture of the tank.

[Apex Dosing Amount and Schedule + Tank](https://imgur.com/a/tzvEaxc)

I am posting this because I am a bit uncertain why is seems alk is so unstable. Over the last three days the Alk dose has gone from 19ml to 28ml and it doesn’t seem to be any more or less stable (The largest dip was a calibration run).

Why does it seem that Alk has not increased even though the dose has increased by close to 50% of the original dose?

I does Alk and cal in equal amounts using ESV B ionic.

My (newish) sps frags seem fine in the current range but I am having a hard time interpreting these results. Another strange thing I noted is that I am seeing some of the largest drops in dKH at night.

The tank is roughly 60 gallons net.

Does this seem a bit unstable for apex dosing to anyone else?

Is it ever advisable to dose more DKh than cal when using 2-part?

You may have to dose independently till it’s stable where you want it. I personally wouldn’t adjust alkalinity more than 1 dkh a day.

What’s you calcium and mag at?

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to dose independently till it’s stable where you want it. I personally wouldn’t adjust alkalinity more than 1 dkh a day.

What’s you calcium and mag at?

Here are the ca and mag results. I am not trying to make any fast adjustments at all. My problem is the sudden decline in alkalinity which I have been trying to get to stabilize. Once that is done then I want to try and slowly raise it over a couple weeks back to 9.5 so that is matched my lfs.

I still get drops of .2-.3 DKh over a span of 2-3 hours which seems like a lot. Upping the dose by 50% also just felt a lot, and still doesn’t seem to be keeping the results consistent. So I am not sure what I may be doing wrong.

The drop around oct 3 is a calibration.

65F41B06-2D79-4D9A-80D2-3D4282DB4493.png 9F7C07F7-588D-408F-A019-1C5430D70483.jpeg D1C97943-9ACC-4498-8E8C-98A5CE1E96F4.jpeg

here is an example of my alk readings from just this morning. The swings seem like a lot over just a few hours, no?

52B9BE49-4B4A-4F6C-9278-BEFE147F0C29.jpeg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back