Problems with maintaining magnesium it keeps dropping.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned it's a bucket of salt. Have you heard of stratification? It's when the elements settle in a bucket. For this reason we always recommend to roll the bucket around before using for the first time.

Not saying this is your issue, but something to keep in mind.
It’s something I will definitely try, makes sense. I always leave the salt inside the bag inside the bucket and never shake it around or anything.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I rolled the bucket around on the floor spun it upside down etc and made a new batch. Sg 1.026 and magnesium at 1230. Definitely higher, looks like some of the magnesium was sitting at the bottom. Still lower than what I would like it to be but much better than 1140!

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe I should roll my bucket around a bit also! Maybe mine is all on top. Ive always tossed the bags into the bucket and then scooped out as needed.
Hearing about "mixing" was a first for me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe I should roll my bucket around a bit also! Maybe mine is all on top. Ive always tossed the bags into the bucket and then scooped out as needed.
Hearing about "mixing" was a first for me.
I think it pertains to the buckets only, as in bought in the bucket. Where it's shipped in the bucket, and I would think most of the settling occurs.

I buy the 200G box, and dump the bags in a bucket. Haven't ever had the settling issue. According to BRS, and a couple others, it can be an issue.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can essentially ruin the results of the salt in the bucket by not mixing it before it’s first use is what I’m understanding. I watched the BRS video and I’m just going to use Aquaforest. If I wasn’t dosing components 1 2 and 3 by Aquaforest I would use the tropic Marin, the results from BRS where excellent for both of these salt mixes.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the 200G box, and dump the bags in a bucket. Haven't ever had the settling issue. According to BRS, and a couple others, it can be an issue.
I also buy the 200G box and fill a bucket for freshness. I can toss 3 bags in the bucket and within a water change or two toss in the last bag. Works out perfect. A 200G box lasts me just under 3 months with 20G weekly changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back