Profilux 4e Questions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a profilux 4e controller over an Apex EL at the moment. I've owned an old apex jr in the past but I'm interested in the profilux based on reviews and user experiences.

I have a few questions though before I continue. I'm hoping you all could help.

-Feed Mode? I'm assuming there is one and it shuts things down as needed, correct. When this ends, can I program the skimmer to come on 5 minutes after the return?

-Any type of heartbeat service? If power goes out, is there a way to know? Perhaps even something that tells me its not on the internet which will make me check my home via Webcam or router. Even if there is just an IP address or something to ping periodically to check (use something like uptime robot, etc)

-Alert notifications? Do they come via push notifications on my phone or text message? I would really like it to text?

-Area to log test results? If I test my phosphate or nitrates for instance, is there a journal I can manually log them in? Is there any chart or graphs for those if so?

-If the power goes out in general, can I delay my skimmer start up until after my return?

-Has the feature to alert based on power monitoring been added yet? Like something pulls less or more electricity than a set value?

Lastly, a more open suggestion question. Like I mentioned, I'm contemplating the purchase because it is 699 for the 4e kit. I know I want it to control temp and monitor ph, maybe shut a doser down based on ph. Otherwise, what else do you use your controller for that doesn't crash a tank if it failed? Like I use vortechs but I plan on having those on a non controllable strip on case the controller ever failed on vacation, I'd still have flow. I was thinking leak detection, maybe sump level sensor eventually. I want a controller because I like gadgets and tech but I also want my tank to survive if it ever died while away. I use vortechs, radions, an osmolator top off, and a sicce syncra AC pump so most things have their own controller. I'm trying to convince myself I'm not just going to buy an expensive temperature controller that can log pH.

Hopefully you guys can answer some questions and share some of what you use yours for. It seems to be a really nice looking and well built piece of technology, I'm just trying to be sure its worth it for me. Thanks!

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a profilux 4e controller over an Apex EL at the moment. I've owned an old apex jr in the past but I'm interested in the profilux based on reviews and user experiences.

I have a few questions though before I continue. I'm hoping you all could help.

-Feed Mode? I'm assuming there is one and it shuts things down as needed, correct. When this ends, can I program the skimmer to come on 5 minutes after the return?

Yes to both.

-Any type of heartbeat service? If power goes out, is there a way to know? Perhaps even something that tells me its not on the internet which will make me check my home via Webcam or router. Even if there is just an IP address or something to ping periodically to check (use something like uptime robot, etc)

No. Heartbeat is on the ToDo list, but there is a power outage solution that requires the use of at least 1 UPS. Also... it can periodically email you but I wouldn't count that as a heartbeat.

-Alert notifications? Do they come via push notifications on my phone or text message? I would really like it to text?

The are pushed via email. Most cell providers in the US have a email to text option. I have my current probe/sensor numbers sent to me every 4 hours to my email. Alerts are sent to my Verizon phone and I receive a text. GHL also has an optional SMS module, but I do not know enough about it.

-Area to log test results? If I test my phosphate or nitrates for instance, is there a journal I can manually log them in? Is there any chart or graphs for those if so?

Yes to all of the above. Additionally if you choose to add in the KH and ION director that will be charted and notified by email/alerts as well.

-If the power goes out in general, can I delay my skimmer start up until after my return?

Yes

-Has the feature to alert based on power monitoring been added yet? Like something pulls less or more electricity than a set value?

Not yet :(

Lastly, a more open suggestion question. Like I mentioned, I'm contemplating the purchase because it is 699 for the 4e kit. I know I want it to control temp and monitor ph, maybe shut a doser down based on ph. Otherwise, what else do you use your controller for that doesn't crash a tank if it failed? Like I use vortechs but I plan on having those on a non controllable strip on case the controller ever failed on vacation, I'd still have flow. I was thinking leak detection, maybe sump level sensor eventually. I want a controller because I like gadgets and tech but I also want my tank to survive if it ever died while away. I use vortechs, radions, an osmolator top off, and a sicce syncra AC pump so most things have their own controller. I'm trying to convince myself I'm not just going to buy an expensive temperature controller that can log pH.

Hopefully you guys can answer some questions and share some of what you use yours for. It seems to be a really nice looking and well built piece of technology, I'm just trying to be sure its worth it for me. Thanks!

Replies to questions in bold above.

You can use the the Vortech control module to vary the flow and incorporate feed mode of the MPs. (On a aside, I like the Icecap battery backup module for my vortechs, but I digress)

Sensors for sump level, ATO levels, leak detection, return pump flow rate; all with alerts. The 4e has 2 expansion card slots that can be used for probe and sensor expansion. I added an extra Ph probe and sensor port to my controller for use with a calcium reactor.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Answers are below. :)

Feed Mode? I'm assuming there is one and it shuts things down as needed, correct. When this ends, can I program the skimmer to come on 5 minutes after the return?
Yes, we have Feed Modes on the ProfiLux 4e. You are free to configure them to the duration you want. If you want to delay the reaction after a Feed Mode, this can be setup also.

Any type of heartbeat service? If power goes out, is there a way to know? Perhaps even something that tells me its not on the internet which will make me check my home via Webcam or router. Even if there is just an IP address or something to ping periodically to check (use something like uptime robot, etc)
We have the ProfiLux 4 powerline adapter which can be set to notify you in case there is a power loss. The ProfiLux can also be configured to run an emergency program that turns OFF all non-essential equipment. After power is restored, you will be notified and the controller will revert back to the normal settings. This is all doable as long as the controller and essential devices are on a battery backup.

Very soon we will have a next generation SMS module which comes with it's own backup battery. If the power goes out, the SMS module will detect it and immediately send out a text message even if there is no main power going to the module.

Alert notifications? Do they come via push notifications on my phone or text message? I would really like it to text?
Yes, you can get them by email and text.

Area to log test results? If I test my phosphate or nitrates for instance, is there a journal I can manually log them in? Is there any chart or graphs for those if so?
Yes, we have the GHL Logbook for that. That is where you can keep track of any parameter, reminder, tasks, or notes. With the parameter logging, as you enter each result, the Logbook will automatically create a chart so you can go back and see the changes of that parameter over the past day, week, month, 3-month, 6-month, and year. If you wanted to compare the parameter results with another, you can do that also.

If the power goes out in general, can I delay my skimmer start up until after my return?
Absolutely. All ProfiLux models come with a "blackout delay" feature that allows you to set a delay after an outage.

Has the feature to alert based on power monitoring been added yet? Like something pulls less or more electricity than a set value?
This is on our to-do list.

OP
OP
Aquaman6410

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, this definitely helps me out and answers some questions!

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is setting up text alerts available in Canada. Is it as simple as typing in a phone number.

I am also interested in getting a new controller in the up coming days.

Thanks

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bugger . I pulled these addresses for Canadian Carriers, but you should confirm with your respective carrier to make sure the part after the @ hasn't changed. So you email the address below and the carrier converts it to a text to your phone
  • Rogers Wireless: [10-digit phone number]@pcs.rogers.com
  • Fido: [10-digit phone number]@fido.ca
  • Telus: [10-digit phone number]@msg.telus.com
  • Bell Mobility: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
  • Kudo Mobile: [10-digit phone number]@msg.koodomobile.com
  • MTS: [10-digit phone number]@text.mtsmobility.com
  • President’s Choice: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
  • Sasktel: [10-digit phone number]@sms.sasktel.com
  • Solo: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
  • Virgin: [10-digit phone number]@vmobile.ca

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back