Programming that AQ1Link thing- Jebao to Apex

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao DCT-8000 return pump, recently bought an AQ1Link adapter, did some searching on how to put it all together, and came across this thread:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sh...trol-my-Jebao-DCP-10000-pump-by-using-my-Apex

It's been a few years ago, but Mr. Kelly did a good job explaining how to set up the AQ1Link adapter with a Jebao and Apex. My question is this: he used an ethernet cable from the AQ1 to the Apex brain variable speed port, and plugged the power brick into the wall rather than the EB8. To free up plug space on the wall, I had planned on plugging it directly into my EB8. Would I still need the ethernet cable from the adapter to the brain if it's plugged into the EB8? If not, then could I simply program it via the programming tool for that specific outlet, rather than configuring the VarSpd1_I1 ports?

The Jebao came with a somewhat faulty controller- if there's a power interruption it doesn't remember the previous setting and roars all the way up to 10 (the good news is that my overflow box can still handle that!). I run it at 4, so I wanted to program it to run at 40%, and have the Apex remember that when the power comes back on. Is that the reasoning behind using the variable speed ports- not so much that I can run something forwards and backwards, but so that I can run it at a reduced setting? Is there a way to program it from the outlet programming tool to run at 40%, or will I indeed need to use an ethernet cable to the VS port? Thanks for your help!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
The standard 120V outlets are either ON or OFF. There's no way to program them for any partial state.
A pump that has variable flow or a light that has variable output must have a 0-10V controlling input to be fully Apex compatible.
It can either be via an ethernet cable as with the device you mention, or various adapter cables that are available.
(Some exceptions are devices that work wirelessly like Hydras, Radions, Vortechs, etc, that don't need a wired connection for variable control.)
You can plug your pump into the EB so you can make it ON/OFF controllable, but you still need a cable for variable output.

For pumps, the variable speed ports are mostly for running them at specific levels, yes.
And for slowing them down without shutting them off, during water changes for example.
With some pumps, like the Gyre, you can use one variable channel for flow rates, and another for direction, forward or backward.

With the variable speed connection, you should be able to program that 40% output on system recovery after a power failure.
If your power outages are typically brief, another thought would be to put everything on a UPS power supply, so that the Apex and pump never lose power.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
The standard 120V outlets are either ON or OFF. There's no way to program them for any partial state.
A pump that has variable flow or a light that has variable output must have a 0-10V controlling input to be fully Apex compatible.
It can either be via an ethernet cable as with the device you mention, or various adapter cables that are available.
(Some exceptions are devices that work wirelessly like Hydras, Radions, Vortechs, etc, that don't need a wired connection for variable control.)
You can plug your pump into the EB so you can make it ON/OFF controllable, but you still need a cable for variable output.

For pumps, the variable speed ports are mostly for running them at specific levels, yes.
And for slowing them down without shutting them off, during water changes for example.
With some pumps, like the Gyre, you can use one variable channel for flow rates, and another for direction, forward or backward.

With the variable speed connection, you should be able to program that 40% output on system recovery after a power failure.
If your power outages are typically brief, another thought would be to put everything on a UPS power supply, so that the Apex and pump never lose power.

Thank you! That answers my question perfectly! I did just buy a UPS this week and was about to get it all put together, but then I got confused about this problem and didn't get it done. :p I'm going to fiddle a bit and try to program the Apex to go into a "survival mode" when it detects a power failure, so that I don't suck up all my UPS power with heaters, for example. For a short outage, riding on the UPS would be ideal, especially to prevent the faulty controller on the return pump from doing its thing. Which is why I wanted to try hooking it to the Apex. Which I now know how to do! Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back