Proper Alk

  • Thread starter Thread starter Surfzone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Surfzone

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2018
Messages
750
Reaction score
599
Location
Charleston, S. Carolina
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to know with Nitrates at 0.75 and PO4 at 0.02 what should I keep alk? Right now my alk stays at 9.6 to 9.8 so I have zeroed in the dose to stay stable but what level should I keep Alk to prevent alk burn.
 
Just wanted to know with Nitrates at 0.75 and PO4 at 0.02 what should I keep alk? Right now my alk stays at 9.6 to 9.8 so I have zeroed in the dose to stay stable but what level should I keep Alk to prevent alk burn.

It's a matter of what they have been use to. If they have been doing okay at mid 9's, I would try not to go above 10. Slow changes are best.

Nutrients and alkalinity can be at higher levels and hard corals can do very well. This is dependent on how young the system is and how many corals you have in your tank.
 
I don't think that there really is a proper Alk... Pick a number and don't let it move, corals can adapt to various water conditions. My tank seems to like it around 7.7-8.0 and I still get fantastic growth! I personally don't see a need to run alk over 8, just less for me to dose saving money, corals still grow fast and color seems to be better when I run my tank lower not to mention its safer to run a lower alk as things don't go sideways quite as quick..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new