Proper water flow direction in the sump/refug?

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question of the day what is the proper water flow direction in the sump/refug???

I have been looking at some sumps and has me thinking that question....
Ok one sump has the drain section, skimmer section, refug section and then last is the return section

Then another sump I was looking at has the skimmer and refug section switched around.
Drain section, refug section, skimmer section then the return section....

So which is the better of the two design flows?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. There are actually even more choices than the two you propose. With that said, my personal preference is to have the protein skimmer as far from the return pump as possible for microbubble management. Other than that it's semantics, so to speak. Others will have their opinions and will defend the benefits of whatever they choose. Flip a coin. Run a poll. Find the consensus and then go with whatever you think benefits your system design.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton method want fuge first, then skimmer.
Ime skimmer first is best

Triton is built around fuge growth uptaking nutrients.
Skimmer first takes proteins right out of the equation before they break down

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton method want fuge first, then skimmer.
Ime skimmer first is best

Triton is built around fuge growth uptaking nutrients.
Skimmer first takes proteins right out of the equation before they break down
True, but, I doubt there is a skimmer on the market that is skimming all the organic compounds out before reaching the fuge. Some certainly but not all. That would be an interesting test to run, though.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question of the day what is the proper water flow direction in the sump/refug???

Down from the drains and up to the tank is correct. Don't get it backwards! ;)

(In seriousness, I'd suggest skipping the divided sump and using a completely open tank. No limits on what goes where.)

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down from the drains and up to the tank is correct. Don't get it backwards! ;)

(In seriousness, I'd suggest skipping the divided sump and using a completely open tank. No limits on what goes where.)

So how do you keep your macro algae ( Cheato) out of your pumps?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but, I doubt there is a skimmer on the market that is skimming all the organic compounds out before reaching the fuge. Some certainly but not all. That would be an interesting test to run, though.
True.
That’s why it’s a good idea to have return pump gph, and how much skimmer can process gph around the same. It won’t get it all, but...

Also think skimmer first just makes more sense. Let skimmer have first chance at dirtiest water. Allow pods to exit fuge and return to tank without having to pass skimmer

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you keep your macro algae ( Cheato) out of your pumps?

You can build a wall at the end of the sump to create a refugium space...or create a separate tank for it...or run it in a lighted reactor – it's only semi-related to sump-function, so do it however makes sense to your install. I'd still have the rest of the sump open vs having the typical array of baffles and chambers. (At least so far I don't run macro algae though.) ;)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No makie sense

Then some of the water goes through the skimmer multiple times, and some goes straight back to tank for nothing

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a wall at the end of the sump to create a refugium space...or create a separate tank for it...or run it in a lighted reactor – it's only semi-related to sump-function, so do it however makes sense to your install. I'd still have the rest of the sump open vs having the typical array of baffles and chambers. (At least so far I don't run macro algae though.) ;)
Thanks for your reply as I’m looking to build a new sump out of a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and trying to figure the layout

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply as I’m looking to build a new sump out of a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and trying to figure the layout
If you’re looking to go Rubbermaid route you’re better off going with separate tubs. One for skimmer, so you can set level/ overflow into another for fuge, then lastly return. This way you can go big on fuge, and small on return area so auto top off works better/easier

And this way all water that is sent to sump/filter passes each process as intended, and each area’s level , flow and design to maximize effect/exposure

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right to left, left to right, front to back, skimmer first, fuge first... it really does not matter much either way. Sometimes your stand or space for the sump will dictate how it is layed out, other times is how the sump is built or the amount of space you need for equipment. That said I like my skimmer to be in the first section getting all the dirty water first and containing all the bubbles, then fuge and last return.

OP
OP
Ms. Mermaid

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True.
That’s why it’s a good idea to have return pump gph, and how much skimmer can process gph around the same. It won’t get it all, but...

Also think skimmer first just makes more sense. Let skimmer have first chance at dirtiest water. Allow pods to exit fuge and return to tank without having to pass skimmer

Wow now you got me re-thinking my current skimmer that I have probably does come close to matching my return pump.
Skimmer - IceCape K2-200 with a Sicce PSK-1000 pinwheel
Return pump is a Vectra M1....
Pretty sure they don't match in their gph....

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No makie sense

Then some of the water goes through the skimmer multiple times, and some goes straight back to tank for nothing
I had my first sump completely open and it worked well. The amount of water flowing back to the skimmer in a chambered sump to be reskimmed is nominally less than without a baffled sump. It all balances out in the end anyhow.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hade and will have a separate fuge as well. Dumps the fuge overflow directly by the return pump intake.

DSCN5145.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back