Proper way to dispose of Zoa?

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to covert my 36 gallon tank into a nem tank. I have 3 different zoa's in there and wanting to get rid of the zoa. What is the best way to get rid of them? I am concerned once I add the nem, it will sting a zoa and the zoa releasing the toxin.

spectreknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all kinds of Zoas in my anemone tank, and they are fine. The anemones have moved to be next to them, in-between them, on top of them.

Last edited:

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you concerned about? I don't think there's any 'proper' way to get rid of it. You could sell them (your local LFS may buy them), otherwise throw them out.

OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you concerned about? I don't think there's any 'proper' way to get rid of it. You could sell them (your local LFS may buy them), otherwise throw them out.
I am concerned about the zoas releasing the polytoxin into the system or even in general. I did think about giving them back to the LFS after posting this but they are also 2 hours away. Might take them with me when going to pick up the nem eventually.

OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way to take them off the rock? They are still attached to their frag plug. Pry off the plug with a flat headed screwdriver? The plug was glued down with BRS glue.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am concerned about the zoas releasing the polytoxin into the system or even in general. I did think about giving them back to the LFS after posting this but they are also 2 hours away. Might take them with me when going to pick up the nem eventually.

I would be overly concerned with the palytoxin. Just take them with you when you pick up the nem.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had decent success with feeding them kalkwasser. Really easy to just spray over a section of them, and they just melt away.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are still all on a frag plug then it'll be simple to pry them off with the super glue used. Just pry them off now and put them in a frag rack or something until you go get your nem and take them with you. Easy enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back