Proposed fish lineup for 30 gallon

CoralReeferDude

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
38
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide on a lineup for my Waterbox 35.2 mixed reef tank and am open to all criticisms. I want to ensure all tank inhabitants have a healthy & happy life. I'm thinking about coming up with a stocking order for: Frostbite Clownfish, Firefish, Royal Gramma, Pink-Streaked Wrasse, and a Neon Blue Goby, but I wanted to run this proposed lineup by the community. I am in no rush here. The tank just shipped and I expect to have to wait a few more weeks before I can even start my water cycle - so it's going to be closer to the end of the year before I start buying any fish.

What do y'all think? Too many fish? Compatibility issues? General thoughts? Hit me.

Proposed cleanup crew will be 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, ~5 Cerith snails, ~5 Trochus snails, ~5 Nassarius Snails, ~5 Micro Brittle Stars. Feel free to rip this apart too. Thanks y'all.
 
I think your list works okay, I have a similar sized tank waterbox clear 2420 (34 gallons). My current stock list is Green Mandarin, Yellowhead Jawfish, Royal Gramma, and pair of ocellaris clowns. So 5 fish same as yours which seems to be the max for tanks our size. The only thing I would say is I kind of wish I went with a tailspot blenny or Yash goby instead of the gramma. I read a lot how some grammas can be aggressive and had my fingers crossed mine would be chill, well mine is beautiful but definitely not chill and regularly charges the clowns and Jawfish with some fin nipping and just seems to be the angry boss of the tank. I may eventually swap him out for a tailspot blenny or Yasha goby if he doesn't eventually chill. So, you may have issues with a gramma bullying similarly sized and peaceful fishes like a firefish or pink streaked wrasse and if you do stay with the gramma add him last.
 
Further research has revealed that the pink-streaked wrasse requires a constant source of copepods. So that fish will not be going into my tank, unfortunately.
 
Researching a particular fish once, twice, and even a third time will always prove beneficial-- whether it's tank size, compatibility, diet requirements, etc. Good move on your part!
 
I've heard many bad stories about royal gramma and firefish together, the size and coloration is too similar and they may see each other as competition and fight. Otherwise your list looks great.
 
I also recommend a pair of clowns. My pair will push other fish around if the other fish get too close, but otherwise they leave the other fish alone.

I have a Waterbox 60.2 and the display tank is about 30 gallons. I currently have a pair of Ocellaris clowns (the female is over 13 years old), a yellow assessor and a royal gramma. They get on fine.

I would like to add a flameback angelfish and possibly a small blennie.

You could consider a pair of yellow assessors as they may breed.

I previously had in this tank the clown pair, a flameback angelfish, two yellow assessors and a bicolour blenny. They did very well together. The only limitation was not enough holes in my live rock for the angelfish, assessors and blenny to hide (and sleep) in.

I think your proposed combination would go well together. I would add the royal gramma last. If you are using artificial rock, I’d consider boring small holes or added other shelter. I have considered adding some large shells, but still looking into it.
 
I didn’t know that about the pink streaked wrasse. It is another fish I am considering. In my experience, wrasse added to an established tank eat bits of everything, all day long. I would be surprised if a pink streaked raised would not survive in your tank without adding copepods.
 
I had a pink streaked wrasse and it ate everything, frozen and obviously pods. But they have tiny mouths so they need smaller bits of food
i would like to add a stripped blenny to your list. You can get them captive bred, mine swims in the open all the time and eats everything, frozen, nori, pellets. It's fat lol
 
I appreciate everyone's input.

As of this moment, I am leaning towards a Frostbite Clownfish, Royal Gramma, Striped Blenny, and maybe a Neon Goby. (Dropped the Firefish and Pink-Streaked Wrasse) I think the Striped Blenny will be a good fit since it is peaceful but can defend itself, if the need arises. I love the Tailspot Blenny, but my concern is that it might become a target if it gets too close to the Gramma's cave/territory. Also, since it is primarily an herbivore, it would complicate my feedings. I'd love to have all fish with very similar dietary needs. Thanks again, y'all.
 
Good thoughts about choosing to suit the diet you wish to give them. I do think that both blennies and wrasses do look after themselves to a large degree and that it’s easy to feed them additional food like nori or pellets occasionally. My bicolour blenny ate meaty stuff the other fish ate, as well as algae, for example bits of shrimp I fed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new