Pros and cons: dosing pumps vs calcium reactor!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter candcreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

candcreef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
611
Reaction score
3
Location
Cape coral, Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all....I am in the process of having to purchase either a dosing pump or a calcium reactor to keep up with my tank's needs...I currently have mostly sps colonies/frags with a few lps colonies...which is better/easier to use and why? Also, what are some of the drawbacks to each? Any help would be appreciated as I need to make a decision very soon....also, which would you recommend and what brand is best?

Thx for any and all help...

Conan
 
i have a cal reactor, but i need one for my 300 gal tank. dosing pump are easier to use but it all matters on how big of a tank, and what you plan on keeping. with time, and some studying youll be able to dail in a cal reactor for large tanks, but if you have a small tank. than just go with dosing pump.
 
I have total water volume of 160 gallons...I plan on keeping mostly sps with a select few chalices and acans...I also plan on putting a few clams in as well..
 
I would agree that dosing pumps are easier and more diversified. You can dose just about whatever you need. I use mine to dose ca., alk.,and mag. I am able to keep parameters stable by dosing 24 times a day.
 
My SPS dominant tank has a total system volume of 200 gallons. I use 175 cc's each of 2 part and a small dose of magnesium daily via a BM doser. Certainly simpler than a calcium reactor. May drawback to this much 2 part is that it will raise salinity, and you have to adjust via water changes.
 
I am using dosing pumps. I always calcified my sand with a reactor. :D
 
Thx everyone for the responses....keep em coming....so right now as I understand it is....dosers are easier to use over calcium reactors?
 
Dosing pumps. Too much play IMO for a calcium reactor. Btw, where's the build thread for here? Lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new