Protein Skimmer and ATO.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just setting up my Reef Octopus 1000HOB today. Never run a skimmer before, so I have a question.

The sludge it pulls out of the water, skimmate I believe the term is, does it pull any salt and/or water out with it?

If so, how would it be run in conjunction with an auto top off? If it pulls out water, which it looks like it does, won't the ATO kick in and cause the salinity to drop over time?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes to both, but it depends on how you run the skimmer. You can run the skimmer "dry" by not running the water as high in the neck of the skimmer. This will drain less water and thicker "skimate". Or you can run it "wet" which will pull more water and thinner skimate. Either way, you ATO should function fine. Over a long period of time, you may have to top off some water with saltwater if you are running very wet. Just keep an eye on your salinity.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just setting up my Reef Octopus 1000HOB today. Never run a skimmer before, so I have a question.

The sludge it pulls out of the water, skimmate I believe the term is, does it pull any salt and/or water out with it?

If so, how would it be run in conjunction with an auto top off? If it pulls out water, which it looks like it does, won't the ATO kick in and cause the salinity to drop over time?
It is not noticeable, assuming normal skimming volumes.
But you are correct.
(To confuse you...)
Some advanced aquarist use the skimmer when doing water changes.
Ato off.
Set the skimmer to overflow, skim very wet, and drain into a 5 gal bucket, maybe getting some extra organics with the very wet skimmate, vs just siphon.
Refill tank with saltwater.
I think to be effective, it would take a long time, perhaps hours.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so if I am understanding you, the volume removed will be negligible, and should be fine given regular checks of salinity, and topping off with saltwater when needed?

How often should it be checked then, would y'all suggest? I'm going away for a month in September and will have a very inexperienced (none) person looking after my tank.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go months without che
Okay, so if I am understanding you, the volume removed will be negligible, and should be fine given regular checks of salinity, and topping off with saltwater when needed?

How often should it be checked then, would y'all suggest? I'm going away for a month in September and will have a very inexperienced (none) person looking after my tank.
On my 110 system I’ve never noticed a drop in salinity due to a skimmer. You could probably go months without any change. As long as you are doing water changes on a semi regular basis (even once a month would work for this problem) you don’t really even need to worry about it. Just make sure you check your salinity before doing a waterchange .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back