Protein Skimmer buying

OldMark81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm researching to buy a protein skimmer for my 1st reef tank. It's a 90gallon tank with a 40gallon sump. When looking them up, they all say,
"Well Stocked Tank - Rated up to 70 gallons
Medium Stocked Tank - Rated up to 90 gallons
Light Stocked Tank - Rated up to 100 gallons".
Should I be looking for one that is rated for 90gallons or 130gallons?

Thank you all for your time,
Mark

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the largest one you can get a hold of. I think the ratings are just based on the tank volume. However, they are just a baseline/suggestion. If you can get one that can handle at least 100g I think that would be the smallest you would want to go.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to big you will have problems dialing it in. As said above, I would shoot for the heavy bioload 90-120 option. Anything bigger and you may not be able to dial it in and it will not skim properly. I have a 120 gal tank with a 120 gal total water volume and I use a Reef Octopus Regal 150sss and used a Vetex Omega 180i before that.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few tanks are “light” bio loads. These are more like a frag tank than a display tank. No basis for this other than watching others build threads but id say 70% of tanks are “heavy”.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you go to big you will have problems dialing it in. As said above, I would shoot for the heavy bioload 90-120 option. Anything bigger and you may not be able to dial it in and it will not skim properly. I have a 120 gal tank with a 120 gal total water volume and I use a Reef Octopus Regal 150sss and used a Vetex Omega 180i before that.

+1. Additionally, you may want to consider how much room you have in the sump which may impact whether you choose a skimmer with an internal or external pump. Many people have their own opinion on brands of skimmers - personally I really like the Reef Octopus skimmers and currently have three running on various different systems. Good luck with whatever you decide!

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking for a new protein skimmer for his 28-gallon nano tank. He doesn't have a sump yet, so we are looking at hang on the back skimmers. Does anyone know anything about the Aqua Top Xyclone hang-on-the back 370gph skimmer? It's inexpensive so I am apprehensive about it. Anyone have any experience with this protein skimmer?

Thanks
Cassi

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking for a new protein skimmer for his 28-gallon nano tank. He doesn't have a sump yet, so we are looking at hang on the back skimmers. Does anyone know anything about the Aqua Top Xyclone hang-on-the back 370gph skimmer? It's inexpensive so I am apprehensive about it. Anyone have any experience with this protein skimmer?

Thanks
Cassi
I have never heard of that brand. As far hob I think aquamaxx are a cheaper popular choice. I have a sump

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it depends on the manufacturer. I wouldn't say get the biggest however....you should match your skimmer size based on your current and future bio loads. I would also heavily rely on other users opinions as they have 1st hand experience with the actual product. With that said my choice is nyos....they are nice looking, they work imo exceptionally well, and also imo underrated! There are sites that have skimmers rated based on bioload, i think this a general approximation...i would not use that as a hard rule. I could not imagine placing a nyos 220 on 150 gallon system......

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back