Protein skimmer change recommendations

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I have a debate on which skimmer will work best for my system, I have an 85 gallon hexagon shaped tank with a Crystal cube 18 sump. I have been wanting to change my filter socks for a collection cup for a while but now I want to modify it to fit a Fleece roller and because of it I have to get a smaller footprint skimmer in order to fit the fleece roller. I’m currently running a 110INT classic reef octopus (10.6" x 6.75" x 19.75" and have 0 complaints on its performance but would be so much easier if the pump was actually inside the skimmer.
These are the swap options I’m considering:

I’ve attached a picture on how much wiggle room I have with the current skimmer and it’s sitting on a skimmer stand to perform better skimming on recommended water height.
Does anyone have experience with any of these skimmers I listed?
Also if you have a recommendation on a different small footprint skimmer will definitely appreciate it!

Thanks In advance

6B417ED4-2C02-4EA2-BC2B-5F483F5DA08A.jpeg

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM Lagoon stand and space is super tight, it was difficult to find a sump to fit it, the sump was always an inch to small. LOL

I finally was able to find a Bashee sump and Bashee ATO container and they fit perfectly.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 110SS on a 50g cube. It fits nicely below in the sump area where space is a bit cramped. Good performance and probably functions very similar to your current Octo. Only complaint people seem to have is the cup is slightly hard to remove - imo this is overblown. It just has a tight seal and some gentle pushing/pulling gets it off without too much effort.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 110SS on a 50g cube. It fits nicely below in the sump area where space is a bit cramped. Good performance and probably functions very similar to your current Octo. Only complaint people seem to have is the cup is slightly hard to remove - imo this is overblown. It just has a tight seal and some gentle pushing/pulling gets it off without too much effort.
Did you need a stand for it or is the water level the recommended height? This is my biggest issue as the water height in my sump is about 10” so I’m worried on not having enough room to remove the collection cup?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stand as the tank I got (SCA) does not have a fully silenced overflow and I found running my sump level higher significantly cut down on noise. I just pieced together some PVC slip elbows and put it on that, which raised it about 2-3 inches.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220911_162406.jpg

Super simple cheap solution. If you needed a different height just use longer pipe and make a "table". You would need a way to cut it though and some 90° T fittings.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back