Protein skimmer for new tank

epatrick70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer - looking to add one to my reef now that it’s cycled with 10 frags and 2 clownfish. It’s 65 gallon tank with Trigger 26 sump. The total in cabinet height is 23 inches. The Trigger Sump skimmer area size is 8.25″ x 10″

Considering the Aquamaxx FC-80. Anyone have any expertise with skimmer or recommend one?

Don’t plan to have more than 5 fish with 2 of them being clowns that I have now. And for corals I expect over time to cover most of the rock and keep soft, LPS and few SPS.

917F48BE-EF60-49BA-B12F-AB03EF175731.jpeg

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I cant help with your question, but can I give you a little bit on constructive criticism on your tank?...
I would like to suggest that you dont learn up any of the rocks against the glass, it will be a maintenance nightmare when you need to scrape algae (including coralline algae) off the glass. You want at least 3-4inch clearance so that scraper magnets or your hand can fit through. Keep in mind that the corals will grow upwards and outwards, further decreasing the 3-4 inch space.
Also, your rocks are piled kinda high, if you like it that way, that's great, but again corals will grow upwards and outwards and with the rock so close to the surface, the corals wont have much room to grow. Some people purposely design their scape that way, kinda like a pillar or column of corals up the the surface of the water.
It's just food for thought.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back