Protein Skimmer for Redsea Max Nano

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, the skimmer the tank comes with I am just not a fan of. Seemingly had an impossible time tuning it, then skimmer would move slightly and alter the bubbles and such.

I want to get an external skimmer I can run off the back of the tank, taking water from the sump area built into the back of the tank, and feeding it to the bottom of the stand where an external skimmer is. Any recommendations on how to achieve that? And recommendations on the skimmer.

The tank is the 30g redsea Max nano tank.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer on my 32 for a few years, its a good quality skimmer, I have no complaints.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my experience here with regards to the Max Nanos :) Basically, I run three - none of them are run with a skimmer.

Two are depending on water change only (15% per week) which works well and the last one is running an automatic filter roller from London Aquatics Design with 10% weekly water change.

I am getting decent PH (7.8-8.0) ; I am not chasing an elevated number in this regard. As for gas exchange, I ensure good surface agitation.

I was not satisfied with the skimmers either, and I did not have the cash to buy new ones after buying the tanks, so took a chance! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back