External Protein Skimmer Above Tank

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, due to space restrains, and not having a sump (all in one system) I want to add a pump to the back of my redsea nano peninsula tank that feeds an external protein skimmer about 18" above the tank surface, on a platform secured to the wall above the tank. I feel like there is a way to make it work, I just do not have enough experience to foresee issues that may arise.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, due to space restrains, and not having a sump (all in one system) I want to add a pump to the back of my redsea nano peninsula tank that feeds an external protein skimmer about 18" above the tank surface, on a platform secured to the wall above the tank. I feel like there is a way to make it work, I just do not have enough experience to foresee issues that may arise.

There are plenty of nano skimmers that will fit within the sump of your tank. Is there a reason for relocating it outside of the tank?

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sure it "could" work, but you will need to pump water up to it which means that you would need to use a feed pump and a recirculating skimmer.

If your feed pump fails or stops and all the water drains out of the skimmer back to the tank with the skimmer pump still running, you could damage the skimmer pump.

Does your all-in-one tank have enough capacity to prevent it from also overflowing in this scenario?

To prevent siphoning on the skimmer drain (which will mess with the water level in the skimmer) your skimmers drain valve (or water level control valve) would need to be located within your all in one, or the drain line will need to be vented immediately after the drain valve on the skimmer. This is also going to make noise and bubbles from the 18" drop back to the tank.

What's the plan if (when) the skimmer goes crazy and overflows up on a shelf on the wall when you're not around?

OP
OP
S

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of nano skimmers that will fit within the sump of your tank. Is there a reason for relocating it outside of the tank?
I want to get a skimmer that is a bit larger, I have had problems with internal skimmers

OP
OP
S

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it "could" work, but you will need to pump water up to it which means that you would need to use a feed pump and a recirculating skimmer.

If your feed pump fails or stops and all the water drains out of the skimmer back to the tank with the skimmer pump still running, you could damage the skimmer pump.

Does your all-in-one tank have enough capacity to prevent it from also overflowing in this scenario?

To prevent siphoning on the skimmer drain (which will mess with the water level in the skimmer) your skimmers drain valve (or water level control valve) would need to be located within your all in one, or the drain line will need to be vented immediately after the drain valve on the skimmer. This is also going to make noise and bubbles from the 18" drop back to the tank.

What's the plan if (when) the skimmer goes crazy and overflows up on a shelf on the wall when you're not around?
Thank you for all of this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back