Protein skimmer going crazy

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a total idiot.. but I'm trying to figure out where the air intake should be in regards to water level... (I think it's the air intake?? I've circled it in the picture). I can adjust the column up and down as well. I have the AquaMaxx Cones Q1 in-sump protein skimmer, and it has always worked great in my sump. I did have the skimmer submerged up to the area about where the black arrow is in the picture. However, I recently added a nitrate pad to help reduce nitrate levels in my tank (water changes and protein skimmer simply weren't bringing the levels down enough). I added the pad to one of the baffles in my sump and the protein skimmer went crazy. Bubbles and water flowed into and over the canister.. so i turned the skimmer off for a few days to let it settle and when I turn it back on it still isn't working properly, still overflowing. I raised the skimmer up so that the elbow where the air intake is now above the water line like they show in the Aquamaxx instructional videos.. but I'm not sure if that's right either considering it worked perfectly fine beforehand. So now I'm just debating where exactly I should have the water line and how much of the skimmer should be submerged. Sorry, I know this is a lot and I hope it makes sense.. I just wanted to include as much info as possible! Thanks in advance guys! Local reef stores seem to know absolutely NOTHING and offer no answers or advice.

C6D004DF-C91D-4AE5-8947-0CBC8B638955.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever is in the pad is the cause. It should subside in a few days, if not, remove the pad and seek out a different method to reduce your N03's.

By the way, what is your N03 at?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever is in the pad is the cause. It should subside in a few days, if not, remove the pad and seek out a different method to reduce your N03's.

To me it looks like your air intake is too low should be up higher also my skimmer did the same thing at first and I found that if I raised the whole entire thing up 1 inch it took care of the problem until it sets itself if that makes any sense to you

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air intake is the yellow line going up the "silencer". It looks like the grey elbow is the overflow, but I don't have this style but it looks similar to my reef octo.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air intake is the yellow line going up the "silencer". It looks like the grey elbow is the overflow, but I don't have this style but it looks similar to my reef octo.
I also remember mine acting crazy for the first two days how long have you had it in there

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, despite water changes, I’m still at about 20ppm sometimes even closer to 40ppm. Should I leave the skimmer on and let it continue to run?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, despite water changes, I’m still at about 20ppm sometimes even closer to 40ppm. Should I leave the skimmer on and let it continue to run?

I constantly run in the 40 range on N03 in my tank. Now every tank is different on how it does with elevated N03, but is largely based on how your corals are doing with those levels.

I would continue running your skimmer as it overflows to allow O2 to be injected into the water column.

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constantly run in the 40 range on N03 in my tank. Now every tank is different on how it does with elevated N03, but is largely based on how your corals are doing with those levels.

I would continue running your skimmer as it overflows to allow O2 to be injected into the water column.

Okay, well that makes me feel better. I don't have any corals, just a couple clowns, mandarin goby, and coral banded shrimp, starfish, etc. My tank has always done fine with those levels, but... everything boils down to a crazy Aiptasia breakout. I started with Aiptasia-X and that seemed to control it for a while... but it just got to the point that every time I killed them, they'd pop back up and it really wasn't getting much better. So recently I decided to order some Berghia Nudibranch's to try and help solve the problem and of course everything I read says nitrates have to be 0 for them to survive. (& I have no idea whether or not they're still alive in there because they're so small). SO.... thats the reason I got the nitrate pad to begin with, which led to the protein skimmer issue! Lol, it's a lot, I know. Thanks again for your help!!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well that makes me feel better. I don't have any corals, just a couple clowns, mandarin goby, and coral banded shrimp, starfish, etc. My tank has always done fine with those levels, but... everything boils down to a crazy Aiptasia breakout. I started with Aiptasia-X and that seemed to control it for a while... but it just got to the point that every time I killed them, they'd pop back up and it really wasn't getting much better. So recently I decided to order some Berghia Nudibranch's to try and help solve the problem and of course everything I read says nitrates have to be 0 for them to survive. (& I have no idea whether or not they're still alive in there because they're so small). SO.... thats the reason I got the nitrate pad to begin with, which led to the protein skimmer issue! Lol, it's a lot, I know. Thanks again for your help!!
I guarantee that I had berghia survive and reproduce with similar nitrates In the past. I’m surprised there is information that they need zero nitrates.

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee that I had berghia survive and reproduce with similar nitrates In the past. I’m surprised there is information that they need zero nitrates.

yep! I got them from salty underground & on the website and with the info they came with it says zero nitrates. so you think they're still surviving in there? I haven't seen any changes in the amount of Aiptasia present yet, but it's only been a little over a week. I'm really hoping this works! If not I'm not sure what else to do.. I've even considered taking my live rock out and cleaning it or letting it soak in regular RODI water for a bit before putting it back hoping to kill them that way... haven't taken it that far yet though.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep! I got them from salty underground & on the website and with the info they came with it says zero nitrates. so you think they're still surviving in there? I haven't seen any changes in the amount of Aiptasia present yet, but it's only been a little over a week. I'm really hoping this works! If not I'm not sure what else to do.. I've even considered taking my live rock out and cleaning it or letting it soak in regular RODI water for a bit before putting it back hoping to kill them that way... haven't taken it that far yet though.
I bet they are fine. You will likely not see them and may not notice them eating anything for a couple of months. its a slow but efficient process usually. Aiptasia, vermatid, and cyano are my nemesis!

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they are fine. You will likely not see them and may not notice them eating anything for a couple of months. its a slow but efficient process usually. Aiptasia, vermatid, and cyano are my nemesis!
good to know, fingers crossed!! I just turned my skimmer back on and as you can see it’s overflowing again. Just leave it be for a while? & should I take off the collection cup or leave that too?

1147A8FB-BAB7-483F-B9B8-4B2E0037BEB4.jpeg 632EDD08-3CD9-484F-BA82-E2E0FF2A10A6.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would run it without the cap until things calm down.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know, fingers crossed!! I just turned my skimmer back on and as you can see it’s overflowing again. Just leave it be for a while? & should I take off the collection cup or leave that too?

1147A8FB-BAB7-483F-B9B8-4B2E0037BEB4.jpeg 632EDD08-3CD9-484F-BA82-E2E0FF2A10A6.jpeg

Yes and I would dial it all the way down for a couple days then slowly make adjustments until it starts collecting normally.

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would run it without the cap until things calm down.

I've been running it now without the collection cup for almost 24 hours. I'm still getting lots of foam/bubbles.. should I continue to let it run for a few days to see if it settles down?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my skimmer, I can restrict the air flow with a valve. If you can do that, I would. Otherwise I would wait. I would expect you can put the top on soon though.

OP
OP
L

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my skimmer, I can restrict the air flow with a valve. If you can do that, I would. Otherwise I would wait. I would expect you can put the top on soon though.
Hey again! So it’s been 4 days of running the skimmer without the cap and it’s still bubbly and over flowing.. I’ve done a water change and I’m going to put a clean filter sock in.. do you think it would help/ should I take the skimmer out and give it a good cleaning?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a long time! It looks like it’s not going to calm down. I don’t think cleaning the skimmer will help. Is there a way you can decrease the air or water flow to that skimmer? It sounds like you have to remove a surfactant or something.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or lower the water level inside the skimmer?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back