Protein Skimmer never full

ShaunPReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I started a new 60 gallon tank in January. I constantly have nitrate issues (over 90), and even with water changes they don't go down. I am now assuming my protein skimmer might me the issue. I have a coralife 125 protein skimmer, and since january it has never even came up an inch. The coralife skimmer only has one water intake knob, and I don;t know how to set ip properly. Does anyone have any tips as to what im doing wrong?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your skimmer is at the proper water depth just slowly turn the knob until bubbles are almost up to the cup. Fwiw I've only owned one coralife skimmer and it was useless

OP
OP
S

ShaunPReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Is it normal to have almost no skimmate with 2 clowns a chromis, and royal gramma. For 6 months it hasent even produced 1/2 and inch. I also have 2 kenya trees and a chalice (very small)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have high nitrates then I would think a decent skimmer would produce some skimmate. I would double check the bubble level and water level and make sure the skimmer neck is clean.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else at least running it has kept your oxygen levels high (lots of bubbles)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Like Kenny mentioned unfortunatly they are not the best. Can you snap a pic so we can se how much bubble/foam you are getting? Also which test kit are you using and what is your feeding like? 90 seems pretty high even without a skimmer.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I started a new 60 gallon tank in January. I constantly have nitrate issues (over 90), and even with water changes they don't go down. I am now assuming my protein skimmer might me the issue. I have a coralife 125 protein skimmer, and since january it has never even came up an inch. The coralife skimmer only has one water intake knob, and I don;t know how to set ip properly. Does anyone have any tips as to what im doing wrong?
What Nitrate test are you using? Are you diluting the sample before testing?

I doubt your nitrate issue is from an under performing skimmer, though yours sounds like it needs adjustment.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Like Kenny mentioned unfortunatly they are not the best. Can you snap a pic so we can se how much bubble/foam you are getting? Also which test kit are you using and what is your feeding like? 90 seems pretty high even without a skimmer.
Hi everyone, I cleaned my skimmer and followed all the tips, I believe it is now working, although the skimmate is bubbly rather than liquidy like other skimmers. Here are some picture, please let me know if something doesn't look right. T
IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg
thank you all once again.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it should look (although you might have the bubbles going too high now). Once the bubbles pop you will have some nice skimmate. Just gotta watch close and keep adjusting as needed

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry foam you are seeing is a result of your current adjustments. If you want wetter foam, try further adjustments in twenty four hours. What you have now is a result of low foam flow either from too little air or low water level. Small tweaks of either or both will change the foam to a wetter form.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back