Protein Skimmer option for JBJ NanoCube 28 G

reefinmecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface by saying I'm a newb and new to the forum. Got into the hobby because I loved the colors and because I've maintained freshwater before but never a saltwater tank. I also like to spend money ;)..on cool things others can appreciate

This might have been posted previously however with my cursory search of the forum I did not find anything regarding this specific protein skimmer and JBJ Nanocube 28g so I decided to share this in hopes to help someone looking for a skimmer for this tank. It seems like the most popular option has been the Aquamaxx HOB skimmer for this tank given its power and silence. I was going to go down that route, however I'm glad I didn't (mostly because it was out of stock everywhere I looked for it). So, I found a much cheaper option that as of now (2 days post-install) seems to be a great deal.

the skimmer: Sea Side Aquatics ES1 Hang On Back Protein Skimmer

I placed it at the rear sump area with the intake pipe in the heater section (left section if looking at tank from front) with the outflow in the center section. The only thing that did not fit was the plastic outflow piece that came with the skimmer. I just did not assemble that and used the black sponge that came with the skimmer to silence the outflow water as it falls into the center section of the sump. Mechanical filtration was with the original 3-tiered plastic scaffold that came with the tank. I did not have to remove that to make this skimmer work. It is very quiet even without that plastic piece. No micro bubbles either since I installed it. Installed plastic tube for the overflow nipple at the collection cup to drain into a container on the floor.

This is the gunk after 2 days of it working:
IMG_6026.jpeg

For $100 and with the Shark 1.0 pump it came with, I think this is a great alternative to the Aquamaxx HOB skimmer for this tank or any other tank. cheerios

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up! Keep us posted on how it proforma after it is fully broken in

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the instant ocean sea clone in the past. Thinking of trying the fluval for 20g frag tank. But I think you might have found something worth looking into. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Taiyaki.Visuals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the instant ocean sea clone in the past. Thinking of trying the fluval for 20g frag tank. But I think you might have found something worth looking into. Thanks for letting us know about it.
After losing a few bids on eBay for them aquamaxx hob 1.5's, which I'm glad lol... that saved me a whopping $150 on something else. I was tempted after to get a K1-Nano for $95 or a K1-50 for $130, but decided I didn't want an in-tank skimmer. So I went hunting for this skimmer, and Amazon had a few people post about it being good. The only downside is that Amazon no longer sold it, but I found it on seasideaquatics parts page and bought one for $115 shipping/tax included. Was a little skeptical, but when I got it, the thing is beefy and the build quality is good. It uses the same pump as the aquamaxx 1 hobs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back