Protein Skimmer or Algae Scrubber on Nano ?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

Would you guys go for a Protein skimmer, or an Algae Scrubber on a nano that does weekly water changes ?

I currently have a 10G holding tank with high nutrients, which are probably due to not have enough bio media.

I am interested in building a DIY Algae Scrubber that I could use on my soon to be 20G Nuvo I already have.

I am curious however, what investment would I be able to get my bang for my buck. I’m a water changing guy as I only have experience and plan to stick to Nano reefs for my years to come, as I can’t yet afford bigger tanks and truthfully, enjoy the aesthetic a small tank gives.

Also for those of you that say skimmer, would you guys go external or internal? This would also dictate whether I get a sump, or a nano frag tank. I also have a goal to grow propagate corals to be able to maintain expenses in the hobby, so I would really like ‘sump space’ for a frag tank! Post away with thoughts !

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer algae as skimmers are not very helpful for phosphate. I also keep lots of filter feeders (i.e. sponges, feather dusters, scallops, other filter feeding mollusks) and skimmers actively make it more difficult to keep these critters.

Ideally I'd have a skimmer on their for gas exchange but only for that (meaning I wouldn't let it skim or if I did I would have it just barely skim)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS biomedia is typically for the transition of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. If you are still having those first two, I would reconsider adding some bottled bacteria before adding one of the above.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer algae as skimmers are not very helpful for phosphate. I also keep lots of filter feeders (i.e. sponges, feather dusters, scallops, other filter feeding mollusks) and skimmers actively make it more difficult to keep these critters.

Ideally I'd have a skimmer on their for gas exchange but only for that (meaning I wouldn't let it skim or if I did I would have it just barely skim)
That’s the hard choice. I want an export that would not only get rid of nitrates but phosphate as well.

granted there are reactors out there which I could still purchase for redundancy, but I’m curious if maybe this is a common problem around ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS biomedia is typically for the transition of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. If you are still having those first two, I would reconsider adding some bottled bacteria before adding one of the above.
Makes sense ! Im for sure not having any, but maybe adding some micro bacter will help with ridding some nitrates

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to filtration is a protein skimmer and a bio reactor.
The 3rd part completing it or rounding it out being a refugium and ats area.
The 3rd part can be countered with display algaes and soft corals and a decent sized clean up crew.
D
I’m curious if I could get away with an algae scrubber. I do regular water changes on my tanks, so ridding my reef of inorganic would not be a problem.

i personally never struggle with pH as I leave my room windows open lots of the time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the hard choice. I want an export that would not only get rid of nitrates but phosphate as well.

granted there are reactors out there which I could still purchase for redundancy, but I’m curious if maybe this is a common problem around ?

Usually people with skimmers use something in conjunction to help with phosphates. However, your tank is so small that I feel like a ton of equipment would get cumbersome. I think it depends all on what you want each piece of equipment to achieve. I personally use a refugium and not an algae scrubber but they are effectively the same thing.

I think whichever option is cheaper and easier for you would be a good choice.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually people with skimmers use something in conjunction to help with phosphates. However, your tank is so small that I feel like a ton of equipment would get cumbersome. I think it depends all on what you want each piece of equipment to achieve. I personally use a refugium and not an algae scrubber but they are effectively the same thing.

I think whichever option is cheaper and easier for you would be a good choice.
Definitely! I would believe that an algae scrubber would be a great option. I’m pretty good at keeping up with water changes, so I believe I would do most of the protein skimmers work with purchasing one.

are there any specific problems ATS run into that I should keep in mind?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think either is needed.
On my 20g nano cube I run filter floss and 3 media baskets and do a 2g water change once a month.
However I started with seasoned live rock from my other 2 systems.
I also run 2 bunches of red macro algae attatched to a rock in both corners.
This is my 20g cube after 4 months.
20220523_181359.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the scrubber. It’s not going to take off right off the bat. It needs time to mature and depending on the available nutrients it might not even be suitable for your tank. I ran one for a year and I couldn’t get the lush green algae to come through. My nutrients ran a bit high that year 40ppm for no3 .15 for phosphates. To go lower I started carbon dosing. I removed the scrubber added a bigger skimmer and dosed nopox, eventually switched to dosing vinegar now I have trouble keeping no3 above 5 ppm

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have in the 10g and how often/how much are you feeding? If doing a w/c is fairly common for you, I think you could get by with 5g w/c weekly if you didn't want to spend extra money on equipemnt. If you were looking for a skimmer, I would highly suggest the Tunze 9001. Great little skimmer for 20g or less.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 20g nano cube I run filter floss and 3 media baskets and do a 2g water change once a month.
20220523_181359.jpg

I definitely think that rinsing floss or filter pads once a day is the easiest way to keep a nano clean

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220523_181359.jpg
Amazing growth man ! Looks great!

I have all dry rock so I wouldn’t have the advantage of having established NB in my system on my nuvo build.

I did have the nuvo running for a year before a crash, which I eventually had to stop WC as my nutrients were too low, so I agree I don’t need them ! However, I would love to have options on nutrient export from the beginning while my tank matures

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the scrubber. It’s not going to take off right off the bat. It needs time to mature and depending on the available nutrients it might not even be suitable for your tank. I ran one for a year and I couldn’t get the lush green algae to come through. My nutrients ran a bit high that year 40ppm for no3 .15 for phosphates. To go lower I started carbon dosing. I removed the scrubber added a bigger skimmer and dosed nopox, eventually switched to dosing vinegar now I have trouble keeping no3 above 5 ppm
I plan on keeping LPS in my nuvo, so a dirtier tank with >5 ppm NO3 <15 ppm NO3 would be desired.

this is a worry I’ve had as well. In my experience, when I start any tank there’s always high amount of nutrients in my tank, which is why I would opt for equipment to help from the beginning.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back