Protein skimmer problem

JoeC308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have an aquamaxx coneS q2 protein skimmer that recently is giving me problems. It was running perfectly for 2 months and now it’s been nothing but trouble. It just started over flowing like crazy instantly. Foam and bubbles were everywhere. I have done water changes. I took the skimmer apart and cleaned it out. Now the skimmer is not even producing bubbles. I don’t know what to do anymore and hope someone here has answers. I’ll include a video so maybe anyone can tell me what’s wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Turn star knob down a little and assure water height is less than 8” in the sump

OP
OP
J

JoeC308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn star knob down a little and assure water height is less than 8” in the sump
It’s sitting in exactly at 7 inches of water now. Should I drop it lower. Also this is what it was doing before that happened.
DD0BF378-1FB6-42B6-8125-034C976CD78A.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video will not play for me. No bubbles indicates a blockage.
If there is a venturi try cleaning it with a drill bit turned by your fingers. No bit use a big paper clip, you need something to break up the salt. You could also soak it in vinegar then try cleaning.

OP
OP
J

JoeC308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video will not play for me. No bubbles indicates a blockage.
If there is a venturi try cleaning it with a drill bit turned by your fingers. No bit use a big paper clip, you need something to break up the salt. You could also soak it in vinegar then try cleaning.
Thanks for the reply. I have already taken it apart and cleaned it all out. I found nothing clogged. This is what it was doing and now in the video it’s not even making bubbles. It’s not even foaming
D23483A5-1368-40A4-8F62-FFF05C468724.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the yellow tube off the bottom of the housing, it should have a suction to it.
If not there is a clog somewhere downstream.
if there is suction see if it also appears @ the top of the muffler. Suction has to be there to make bubbles.
My only other thought would be the pump is out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s sitting in exactly at 7 inches of water now. Should I drop it lower. Also this is what it was doing before that happened.
DD0BF378-1FB6-42B6-8125-034C976CD78A.jpeg
Lower it 1/2” and see if it changes. If not, another 1/2”

OP
OP
J

JoeC308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the yellow tube off the bottom of the housing, it should have a suction to it.
If not there is a clog somewhere downstream.
if there is suction see if it also appears @ the top of the muffler. Suction has to be there to make bubbles.
My only other thought would be the pump is out.
I have suction on both ends it’s just making way too much bubbles and foam. I have bubbles coming out of all ends of the skimmer.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have suction on both ends it’s just making way too much bubbles and foam. I have bubbles coming out of all ends of the skimmer.
So you are making bubbles now? I think that advice was for the no bubbles issue you mentioned at one point.
Make sure the air line is connected to your venturi. Maybe it fell off and is just drawing in tank water?

OP
OP
J

JoeC308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are making bubbles now? I think that advice was for the no bubbles issue you mentioned at one point.
Make sure the air line is connected to your venturi. Maybe it fell off and is just drawing in tank water?
It’s Definitely connected. As soon as skimmer plugs in it makes bubbles and foam and fills up cup instantly. You can feel water being pulled in if you put your hand in front of the pump. If I pinch the air line the foam stops until I let it go.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Open up the gate valve all the way and see if that brings it down.

Could there be something that contaminated the water?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back