Protein Skimmer Pump Died

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump for my Skimz Monzter Mini Protein Skimmer died earlier this week, looked up the replacement pump which is the QuietPro 2.0 controllable DC powered pump but its rated pretty poorly and is almost as much as I spent on the skimmer. Any suggestions or recommendations on a better option?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump for my Skimz Monzter Mini Protein Skimmer died earlier this week, looked up the replacement pump which is the QuietPro 2.0 controllable DC powered pump but its rated pretty poorly and is almost as much as I spent on the skimmer. Any suggestions or recommendations on a better option?
It's a space saver design right? you might have trouble fitting a different pump that will match up and fit right without some modifications. A great smaller/low profile pump that might be able to be swapped/fit in there is a Tunze hydrofoamer.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Replace it with a Lifereef Skimmer ;) :p Costly, but you won't have to deal with this issue ever again...

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace it with a Lifereef Skimmer ;) :p Costly, but you won't have to deal with this issue ever again...

wanted to say this but didn’t want to say it. The dc powered low profile skimmer craze is tempting to gear heads but a lifereef would make the OP’s issue solved. Even a cheap jebao return pump will likely outlast many of the internally mounted proprietary pumps on the new space saving skimmer designs. But I digress. Wish I had more help

propietary mounted purpose specific pumps are a pain to replace

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol, I knew that would be one of the first responses based on the thread title, they certainly have a devoted following :)

OP - Are you looking for another suggestion on a replacement pump or suggestions on different skimmers? If a new skimmer, what's the budget and space constraints?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I knew that would be one of the first responses based on the thread title, they certainly have a devoted following :)

OP - Are you looking for another suggestion on a replacement pump or suggestions on different skimmers? If a new skimmer, what's the budget and space constraints?
Would rather just replace the pump, hate the idea of tossing out an intact body

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well unfortunately this tricky situation is the whole reason why Lifereef is the way to go, atleast IMO. It's hard to beat the no proprietary pump setup. Hopefully the OP finds a solution that works for there situation though. :)

wanted to say this but didn’t want to say it. The dc powered low profile skimmer craze is tempting to gear heads but a lifereef would make the OP’s issue solved. Even a cheap jebao return pump will likely outlast many of the internally mounted proprietary pumps on the new space saving skimmer designs. But I digress. Wish I had more help

propietary mounted purpose specific pumps are a pain to replace

I have no issue saying it :p

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately this tricky situation is the whole reason why Lifereef is the way to go, atleast IMO. It's hard to beat the no proprietary pump setup. Hopefully the OP finds a solution that works for there situation though. :)

Sometimes it can be like suggesting a sledge hammer to drive a nail though :) They have a large footprint, no idea if that will fit in OPs sump. $500ish for a new LR would buy a lot of replacement pumps.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can be like suggesting a sledge hammer to drive a nail though :) They have a large footprint, no idea if that will fit in OPs sump. $500ish for a new LR would buy a lot of replacement pumps.

Lol oh I know what tank Shep has. I ran my Lifereef on a 34 Gallon + 10 Gallon (Custom) sump setup for a few years and it worked great. Not using it on my current Nuvo 10 though (But if it fit in the AIO section you bet I would :p). I did purchase it knowing I would be upgrading down the road though so certainly wasn't a permanent setup. Jeff needs to make a Nano version:D

I hope Shep can find something that work and I do agree the cost of a Lifereef is up there as well. But I'm not someone who enjoys replacing things and tossing them just cause there cheap. We throw out SO much nowadays, especially electronics and if theres a better way I'll always go that route. (Plus a well looked after Lifereef skimmer with a Mag pump can easily last 20+ years, replacing a $50 pump every 2-3 years can actually end up costing you more).

I'll leave it at that though, as much as I love my Lifereef, I don't want to drag it out and ruin the thread. (Hopefully I haven't already).

Last edited:

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have no issue saying it :p
With this argument you could go aqua c, bashsea, ...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this argument you could go aqua c, bashsea, ...

Absolutely, Lifereef isn't the only company out there that makes non proprietary products, just the only one I have personal experience with.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with the aqua c and ones when I works in shops years ago. Cannot recall they brand. All work fairly similar. I would go with bashsea based on workmanship.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of those other manufacturers used beckett injectors, which do require more frequent maintenance because of their propensity to get clogged more frequently. Hence the big Lifereef following, their spa or upgraded mazzei venturi is virtually maintenance free! :)

To the OP, Fish-Street has the closest match to your Skimz Quiet Pro 2.0 skimmer pump with their Coral Box DCA-2000 skimmer pump. At 80is bucks, it may be worth a look.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef is the way to go, Jeff's support at Lifereef is great and down to earth. The best is you can use his skimmers with any pump, as long as it meets the gph minimums. I spent more money on skimmer, after skimmer until i found lifereef. I actually bought my Lifereef skimmer used and it works great. Jeff also answered my questions and let me buy parts for it even though i bought it used. My last skimmer before my Lifereef was an Elos Skimmer and the Lifereef blows it out of the water. Go LifeReef and never look back, unless you have the money to dump in new skimmers every few years and the proprietary pumps to replace the old ones.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shep any luck finding a new pump??

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SM163 for sale and one of the comments was that they replaced the pump with a Sicce skimmer pump. Maybe there is a smaller Sicce skimmer pump that fits your Skimz.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back