Protein Skimmer recommendations for a 150g mixed reef?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
I put off buying a protein skimmer until all the other parts for my new tank came in, but I'll need to install one soon.

Tank is 60.5" x 24.5" x 25" with a 36'' sump.

It's my first reef so I'm not sure where to start. I'm planning on keeping a zebra moray eventually so if an oversized skimmer would help with the extra bio load, I'm down.

Does anyone have brand/model recommendations?

Thanks!

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
People will recommend ReefOctopus, Nyos, maxspect, skims and alike skimmers - as of what I have read is that almost all of the new designs work all fairly well. Go for a little bit bigger than just for gallon of your current tank than what manufacture recommend that will give you some flexibility with your future bioload

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm partial to Reef Octopus and currently am using three Reef Octopus skimmers on different systems, but all of the above mentioned brands should work well for you. Most skimmers have a light load, medium load, and heavy bio-load rating depending on your system and expected livestock.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Trivan

View Badges
Reaction score
If you have the room check out ReefLife. A recent thread here showed a number of people here, self include using them.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
If you're budget minded (like me), the icecap K2 200 skimmer is being cleared out for $299. Nothing overly fancy, just a big, well made skimmer with solid sicce pump.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral in your reef tank?

• Pack in as many as I can get

Votes: 57 13.6%
  • A lot but leave room for growth

Votes: 281 67.1%
  • Less is more

Votes: 60 14.3%
  • Very very few

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Fish only...blah!

Votes: 5 1.2%