Protein Skimmer Sizes? (180 Gallon Tanks+)

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those of you that have 180 gallon+ tanks (fully stocked), what protein skimmers do you have and what is their rated capacity? I plan on stocking my tank very heavily, (220) right now I have a bubble magus curve 9 (rated for 400 gallons), but I am going to upgrade to a bubble magus curve 10 (530 gallon capacity). I will also run purigen, filter socks, algae reactor and something else in my sump, not sure what yet. I'm thinking maybe to even get the Bubble Magus Curve 11 (750 gallon capacity), but I also think it may be unnecessary. Let me know what works for you in your tanks! Thank you.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversizing a skimmer is one of those topics that are debatable until the cows come home.
Personally, I would get (assuming you have your heart set on Bubble Maggus) at least the 10.
The 11 wouldn't hurt either.
If the skimmer is oversized for the current stocking, there really isn't a way to "overskim". There will only be so much dissolved organics.
Lastly, having had a couple Bubble Maggus skimmers in the past, they are dramatically overstating the ratings. Pretty common actually and that doesn't mean they aren't a good product.. BM does the job at a reasonable price point, just go up a step or two on from the manufacturer sizing

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversizing a skimmer is one of those topics that are debatable until the cows come home.
Personally, I would get (assuming you have your heart set on Bubble Maggus) at least the 10.
The 11 wouldn't hurt either.
If the skimmer is oversized for the current stocking, there really isn't a way to "overskim". There will only be so much dissolved organics.
Lastly, having had a couple Bubble Maggus skimmers in the past, they are dramatically overstating the ratings. Pretty common actually and that doesn't mean they aren't a good product.. BM does the job at a reasonable price point, just go up a step or two on from the manufacturer sizing
What makes you say that they overstate their skimmer power?

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most (if not all) Skimmer manufacturers list their ratings on a "lightly stocked" scenario. Most reefers exceed lightly stocked in a very short period of time.
Yeah, I seen somewhere they had listed bubble magus curve 9's as 240 gallons heavily stocked. I'd have to assume that a 10 should be ~350 heavily stocked.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were also to make a suggestion, make sure to get the Sicce pump upgrade on any Bubble Maggus. The stock skimmer pumps aren't all that.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I seen somewhere they had listed bubble magus curve 9's as 240 gallons heavily stocked. I'd have to assume that a 10 should be ~350 heavily stocked.
Just so we have a point of reference, on my little 120, moderately stocked, I have the Curve 7. It's definitely undersized for what it is.. just been to lazy to replace it. It works, but has a hard time keeping up.
If I were to be thinking about a 210, I'd personally go at least the 10 with the Sicce pump. The 11 if using the stock pump.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we have a point of reference, on my little 120, moderately stocked, I have the Curve 7. It's definitely undersized for what it is.. just been to lazy to replace it. It works, but has a hard time keeping up.
If I were to be thinking about a 210, I'd personally go at least the 10 with the Sicce pump. The 11 if using the stock pump.
What do you have in your tank?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they on the elite version?
Not 100% sure of their upgraded names. Possibly. The Sicce was an optional extra when I bought mine. I believe that certain lines now come standard with the Sicce.
If you'd like, pm me. I have the North American rep for Bubble Maggus in my phone. You could ask and get an answer from the horses mouth.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure of their upgraded names. Possibly. The Sicce was an optional extra when I bought mine. I believe that certain lines now come standard with the Sicce.
If you'd like, pm me. I have the North American rep for Bubble Maggus in my phone. You could ask and get an answer from the horses mouth.
I have emailed a few times with bubble magus representatives, not the best.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your tank?
My SPS only heavily stocked 240, I have the Super Reef Octopus 5000INT.
It has been an absolute workhorse. Pump is awesome. Adjusting, although rarely necessary, is a breeze. I can't say with a straight face the same about BM.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS only heavily stocked 240, I have the Super Reef Octopus 5000INT.
It has been an absolute workhorse. Pump is awesome. Adjusting, although rarely necessary, is a breeze. I can't say with a straight face the same about BM.
I always heard BM skimmers were on par or nearly with the reef octopus.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea looks a lot like the Nyos. It's all about the pump really.
As someone who has had multiple BM and RO skimmers, I can say that the comparison ends at calling them both skimmers...
There really isn't a direct comparison.. the BM works, but the RO....WORKS...
The RO is just better engineered. The pump is better, easier to dial in, better materials, etc...
A horrible and overused analogy, but think Toyota vs. expensive European sports sedan.
Yes the Toyota is a nice car... But a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, whatever is just a BETTER car....

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea looks a lot like the Nyos. It's all about the pump really.
As someone who has had multiple BM and RO skimmers, I can say that the comparison ends at calling them both skimmers...
There really isn't a direct comparison.. the BM works, but the RO....WORKS...
The RO is just better engineered. The pump is better, easier to dial in, better materials, etc...
A horrible and overused analogy, but think Toyota vs. expensive European sports sedan.
Yes the Toyota is a nice car... But a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, whatever is just a BETTER car....
You're starting to sway me, have you considered a career in sales?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're starting to sway me, have you considered a career in sales?
Just giving my honest and unbiased 2¢. Fortunately, in this particular case, I have 1st hand knowledge of both brands we were discussing.
Skimmers like the Red Sea, Nyos and lots of other brands all LOOK remarkably similar for a reason. Many are made in the same factory.
Like I mentioned earlier, it has more to do with the sizing and quality of the pump than the design of the body of the skimmer.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a 180 gallon DT I would look at the SRO 3000 INT skimmer. I am not a fan of over sizing a skimmer.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 11 is rated for 450 gallons on a heavily stocked tank. I'm even thinking about going for the 12, which is 1050 on a lightly stocked. Presumably 700-800 heavily stocked. I kinda also think that it's unnecessarily big. Thoughts?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back