Protein skimmer

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question here...

I set up my skimmer so that the water is between the lower black ring and the connection ring(?) Directly above it.
2c4a62b27b9981e0443a851ad613fd56.jpg

It's not properly set up in the photo right now fyi...

Anyway even though it seems to be set up properly and the bubbles are getting pushed into the collection cup, it seems like the skimmer pulls out a ton of water and only a small amount of crap.

Is this normal? If I lower the water level the bubbles don't seem to make it into the collection cup.

Are you supposed to have it so the bubbles barely make their way into the cup?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you lower the water, the bubbles will buildup as more crap gets on them and pops the bubble, going to the next one until you get bubbles that start to overflow into collection cup. give it some time with the water at the right level. you don't want your skimmer doing water changes... hey wait a minute! no, no you don't. o_O

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you lower the water, the bubbles will buildup as more crap gets on them and pops the bubble, going to the next one until you get bubbles that start to overflow into collection cup. give it some time with the water at the right level. you don't want your skimmer doing water changes... hey wait a minute! no, no you don't. o_O

Ok thanks, I've been in the hobby for a few years but never have been able to dial it down just right. I tried lowering the level before and it takes forever before I have to clean it out. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it...

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is so much that factors into skimmer function; bioload, type of skimmer (brand), kind of skimmer (venturi, beckett, downdraft, etc.), how much input to the system, feeding, algae level, what types of corals and fish (some produce a lot of mucus, some not much - see wrasses and cocoons), pump, how old pump is, health of pump, etc. Speaking of, what kind is it? Not that it matters much, skimmers only pull out so much, but there is a definite range (some pull out more than 30% of the dissolved organic carbons vs. some that pull in the 20% range). Anyway, sounds like you know what to do.

How long does it take to fill the skimmer cup? How big is your tank? how much is skimmer rated for? what's your bioload? you don't have to answer those unless you want to, but they'll help you put together a picture in your head of what's going on. As for skimmers, the ones I have had that are the easiest set and forget that pull a ton of skimmate are the Reef Octopus line. I have a Deltec now, I have had other skimmers as well, but RO is just easy to work with, like clockwork. Maybe think about getting a new one if this one takes so long to pull skimmate...

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is so much that factors into skimmer function; bioload, type of skimmer (brand), kind of skimmer (venturi, beckett, downdraft, etc.), how much input to the system, feeding, algae level, what types of corals and fish (some produce a lot of mucus, some not much - see wrasses and cocoons), pump, how old pump is, health of pump, etc. Speaking of, what kind is it? Not that it matters much, skimmers only pull out so much, but there is a definite range (some pull out more than 30% of the dissolved organic carbons vs. some that pull in the 20% range). Anyway, sounds like you know what to do.

How long does it take to fill the skimmer cup? How big is your tank? how much is skimmer rated for? what's your bioload? you don't have to answer those unless you want to, but they'll help you put together a picture in your head of what's going on. As for skimmers, the ones I have had that are the easiest set and forget that pull a ton of skimmate are the Reef Octopus line. I have a Deltec now, I have had other skimmers as well, but RO is just easy to work with, like clockwork. Maybe think about getting a new one if this one takes so long to pull skimmate...

It's a hydor performer 705. 240 gallon display 50 gallon sump, rated for 300 gallons. It has a hose connected to a five gallon bucket but it fills an entire bucket in about a month. An entire bucket would be about one skimmer cup worth

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that does seem like it's skimming slow to me. but then again, I don't have a 240 gallon tank with a hydor skimmer. If you like the performance, then keep it. you can try buying a used skimmer of different brand to see if it does anything different. I bet it will, but up to you at this point on what to do. Good luck!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back