Protein Skimmer?

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have two 28gal HQI cubes and I was wondering if we should have the protein skimmers in them.Both have media baskets from mediabaskets.com with filter floss,chempure elite and macro algae in bottom.Should I keep running these proein skimmers? Both tanks have few small fish but mostly corals(Zoas,ricordeas,tridacna clams,xenias etc.) Thx in advance:bigsmile:
 
The corals you listed aren't super "clean" water demanding, so it's not an easy answer (well it could be "yes, you always need a skimmer" but I don't like that answer much.)
It goes more to your tank, how comfortable you are with it and being able to see how it's doing. My Max has a skimmer, but for the better part of it's existance has been essentially skimmer-less as the fluctuating water level in the back chamber has prevented the skimmer from functioning very much. If this is a similar situation to yours, I'd recommend learning to run the tank skimmer-less (keeping an eye on nutritients and preventing build up either by limited feeding or removal of waste via water changes or sufficient algae growth in your 'fuge.) If however the water level stays consistent, if your skimmer is functioning quite well, then I'd say leave it and make use of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new