Protein Skimmer

Kalochroma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am in the process of setting up a 60 gallon shallow tank, with a 20 gallon sump. Ultimately, I would like to keep softies, LPS, and SPS. Would anyone be able to recommend a QUIET protein skimmer that can get the job done?

Thanks a lot!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! People are most likely going to just recommend whatever skimmer they are using so getting a clear answer to your question may be difficult. I would recommend doing lots of searches across the net and see what people are saying about different skimmers, take that information along with your best judgment and make a informed decision. For what it's worth Im currently using a Coral Box DC skimmer and it's quieter than most of my past ones ;)
331E86CE-83FB-4CDA-B248-BE1D7A7B5416.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family!
null.jpg

You're likely to get a LOT of different opinions on which skimmer is best. My advice would be to decide on the physical dimensions of the chamber where the skimmer will go (it has to fit) and the rating of the skimmer in terms of gallons and bioload. Then do some research on brands, cost and reviews and ask peoples opinions of the ones you like best. Might narrow the field a bit.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec, Tunze, Nyos, Reef Octopus, and Lifereef all make good skimmers. Really is personal choice. I've used all the brands listed except Lifereef. I'm currently using a Deltec and really like it. Comes apart easily for cleaning, is easy to dial in and just works well.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! I think the information about personal preference and suggestions based on a reefers current skimmer are spot on :)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NYOS skimmers are very quiet, I have a 160 and 300 version and there quiet and very well built. They also do a 120 as well which might be more suitable for your system

Welcome to R2R as well!

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run the quantums at the farm, and I agree super quiet. On my home tanks I run Reef Octopus. both are great in there own right.

OP
OP
K

Kalochroma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I do appreciate it. Guess there's no easy way around it... I'll have to look into and research all these brands listed here. Half the battle is getting these names straight for someone new to the hobby ;Bookworm

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be keeping fish in this tank?

OP
OP
K

Kalochroma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just a light load. Ideally, pair of clowns, goby, and a pistol shrimp? I've always wanted a group of chromis too, but everywhere I read says they eventually die one by one? For me, the fish really are second to the coral.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back